POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : My pov-mode Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:37:16 EDT (-0400)
  My pov-mode (Message 6 to 15 of 25)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Nieminen Juha
Subject: Re: My pov-mode
Date: 20 Sep 1999 11:11:41
Message: <37e64ead@news.povray.org>
I posted the pov-mode.el to povray.binaries.utilities.

From: Peter Toneby
Date: 23 Sep 1999 10:01:12
Message: <37EA32A7.12D5E00A@acc.umu.se>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

>   Adjusting pov-mode.el and the default colors of emacs my current pov-mode
> looks like this:
>
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~warp/pov-mode.gif

I haven't been reading the newsgroups for some time, and missed your
post in utilities.binaries,
but I'll diff your version with mine, and see what I can add to the
official version (available at http://www.acc.umu.se/~woormie/povray ).

Have you updated the code for keyword-completion? (added the new
keywords and all that)

/Peter

Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 24 Sep 1999 03:48:21
Message: <37eb2cc5@news.povray.org>
Peter Toneby <woo### [at] accumuse> wrote:
: Have you updated the code for keyword-completion? (added the new
: keywords and all that)

  Nope. I have never used the completion feature. Perhaps I'll have to
familiarize myself with it. It may be handy.
  My additions to the pov-mode.el are far from complete.

From: Peter Toneby
Date: 27 Sep 1999 18:03:19
Message: <37EFE9A6.AFF1BBDD@acc.umu.se>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Peter Toneby <woo### [at] accumuse> wrote:
> : Have you updated the code for keyword-completion? (added the new
> : keywords and all that)
>
>   Nope. I have never used the completion feature. Perhaps I'll have to
> familiarize myself with it. It may be handy.
>   My additions to the pov-mode.el are far from complete.

I noted that, but they are good, but for emacs only, not xemacs, so I
had to make some changes
to it to make sure it's compatible, I still have to test it a bit more,
and I might do
some other work on the mode as well later this week, so hopefully I can
make a release this
weekend.

/Peter Toneby

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Nov 1999 08:28:11
Message: <381ee6eb@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:03:18 +0200, Peter Toneby wrote:
>Nieminen Juha wrote:
>>
>> Peter Toneby <woo### [at] accumuse> wrote:
>> : Have you updated the code for keyword-completion? (added the new
>> : keywords and all that)
>>
>>   Nope. I have never used the completion feature. Perhaps I'll have to
>> familiarize myself with it. It may be handy.
>>   My additions to the pov-mode.el are far from complete.
>
>I noted that, but they are good, but for emacs only, not xemacs, so I
>had to make some changes
>to it to make sure it's compatible, I still have to test it a bit more,
>and I might do
>some other work on the mode as well later this week, so hopefully I can
>make a release this
>weekend.

I just started playing with pov-mode myself, and the first thing I
found is that rendering the scene is a lot more work than it should
be.  Is there some variable somewhere I can set with the default
render command so I don't have to retype it every time I run emacs?

From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 2 Nov 1999 10:40:48
Message: <381F0626.40855B0F@geocities.com>
Ron Parker wrote:

> I just started playing with pov-mode myself, and the first thing I
> found is that rendering the scene is a lot more work than it should
> be.  Is there some variable somewhere I can set with the default
> render command so I don't have to retype it every time I run emacs?

Just make a make file. Then you can just do the emacs compile command to
make it work. Plus, you can setup all the dependencies of .inc files and map
files, etc.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Nov 1999 11:08:18
Message: <slrn81u33q.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 07:41:26 -0800, Jon A. Cruz wrote:
>Ron Parker wrote:
>
>> I just started playing with pov-mode myself, and the first thing I
>> found is that rendering the scene is a lot more work than it should
>> be.  Is there some variable somewhere I can set with the default
>> render command so I don't have to retype it every time I run emacs?
>
>Just make a make file. Then you can just do the emacs compile command to
>make it work. Plus, you can setup all the dependencies of .inc files and map
>files, etc.

I don't tend to do big complicated scenes, and I certainly don't put them
in separate directories.  I just want a simple command I can execute to
render the current buffer using some default ini file.  It's the "render
the current buffer" part it doesn't seem to handle - I have to actually
type the name of the current file into the minibuffer whenever I switch
to another project.  I also have to manually type in
"~/sp31g/source/unix/x-povray dw320.ini" each time I restart emacs.
That seems like too much work.  Of course I could add a symlink or shell
script to make it a little shorter, but ideally it would remember it from
session to session.

But, inspired by what you suggested, wouldn't it be cool if POV had an
option like GCC's -E -MMD to automatically generate dependency information?

From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 2 Nov 1999 11:48:02
Message: <381f15c2@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
: But, inspired by what you suggested, wouldn't it be cool if POV had an
: option like GCC's -E -MMD to automatically generate dependency information?

  What would you use that information for?
  AFAIK you can't compile pov files to object files which you then link
together to a binary file, but everything is parsed again every time you
render a scene.

  Or is this some superpatch feature?-)

From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Nov 1999 12:10:00
Message: <slrn81u6n2.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On 2 Nov 1999 11:48:02 -0500, Nieminen Juha wrote:
>Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
>: But, inspired by what you suggested, wouldn't it be cool if POV had an
>: option like GCC's -E -MMD to automatically generate dependency information?
>
>  What would you use that information for?
>  AFAIK you can't compile pov files to object files which you then link
>together to a binary file, but everything is parsed again every time you
>render a scene.

For building a makefile as Jon suggested - one that only rerenders a given
scene if something about it has changed.  Not that such a feature is
particularly useful, I guess, but it'd still be nice to be able to get a
list of the dependencies of a scene file if you plan to pack it up and
send it off to irtc or news.povray.org or wherever.

From: Kenneth Johansson
Date: 2 Nov 1999 14:17:40
Message: <381F36E2.6DD96A25@canit.se>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 07:41:26 -0800, Jon A. Cruz wrote:
> >Ron Parker wrote:
> >
> >> I just started playing with pov-mode myself, and the first thing I
> >> found is that rendering the scene is a lot more work than it should
> >> be.  Is there some variable somewhere I can set with the default
> >> render command so I don't have to retype it every time I run emacs?
> >
> >Just make a make file. Then you can just do the emacs compile command to
> >make it work. Plus, you can setup all the dependencies of .inc files and map
> >files, etc.
>
> I don't tend to do big complicated scenes, and I certainly don't put them
> in separate directories.  I just want a simple command I can execute to
> render the current buffer using some default ini file.  It's the "render
> the current buffer" part it doesn't seem to handle - I have to actually
> type the name of the current file into the minibuffer whenever I switch
> to another project.  I also have to manually type in
> "~/sp31g/source/unix/x-povray dw320.ini" each time I restart emacs.
> That seems like too much work.  Of course I could add a symlink or shell
> script to make it a little shorter, but ideally it would remember it from
> session to session.
>
> But, inspired by what you suggested, wouldn't it be cool if POV had an
> option like GCC's -E -MMD to automatically generate dependency information?

I use a make file even if I only have one file. Its easy to make different
settings. I never use inc files as I have yet to see a need for them. Then i
have bind the compile command to f12 in emacs.

Note that this will always execute even if the source has not changed.
-----------

SRC=<change_to_your_file>.pov

CC=/usr/src/pov/povray31/source/unix/x-povray
INC=/usr/src/pov/bin/povray31/include

WIDTH=640
HEIGHT=480

QWIDTH=320
QHEIGHT=240

normal:
        $(CC) -L$(INC) -i $(SRC) +w$(WIDTH) +h$(HEIGHT) +d +v

quick:
        $(CC) -L$(INC) -i $(SRC) +w$(QWIDTH) +h$(QHEIGHT) +d +v

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>