POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : My pov-mode : Re: My pov-mode Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:35:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My pov-mode
From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Nov 1999 11:08:18
Message: <slrn81u33q.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 07:41:26 -0800, Jon A. Cruz wrote:
>Ron Parker wrote:
>
>> I just started playing with pov-mode myself, and the first thing I
>> found is that rendering the scene is a lot more work than it should
>> be.  Is there some variable somewhere I can set with the default
>> render command so I don't have to retype it every time I run emacs?
>
>Just make a make file. Then you can just do the emacs compile command to
>make it work. Plus, you can setup all the dependencies of .inc files and map
>files, etc.

I don't tend to do big complicated scenes, and I certainly don't put them
in separate directories.  I just want a simple command I can execute to
render the current buffer using some default ini file.  It's the "render
the current buffer" part it doesn't seem to handle - I have to actually
type the name of the current file into the minibuffer whenever I switch
to another project.  I also have to manually type in
"~/sp31g/source/unix/x-povray dw320.ini" each time I restart emacs.
That seems like too much work.  Of course I could add a symlink or shell
script to make it a little shorter, but ideally it would remember it from
session to session.

But, inspired by what you suggested, wouldn't it be cool if POV had an
option like GCC's -E -MMD to automatically generate dependency information?