POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : My pov-mode : Re: My pov-mode Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My pov-mode
From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Nov 1999 12:10:00
Message: <slrn81u6n2.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On 2 Nov 1999 11:48:02 -0500, Nieminen Juha wrote:
>Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
>: But, inspired by what you suggested, wouldn't it be cool if POV had an
>: option like GCC's -E -MMD to automatically generate dependency information?
>
>  What would you use that information for?
>  AFAIK you can't compile pov files to object files which you then link
>together to a binary file, but everything is parsed again every time you
>render a scene.

For building a makefile as Jon suggested - one that only rerenders a given
scene if something about it has changed.  Not that such a feature is
particularly useful, I guess, but it'd still be nice to be able to get a
list of the dependencies of a scene file if you plan to pack it up and
send it off to irtc or news.povray.org or wherever.