POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : tricking some SMP with pov Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  tricking some SMP with pov (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: D  Stark
Subject: tricking some SMP with pov
Date: 3 Aug 1999 11:30:09
Message: <37a70b01@news.povray.org>
I work for an ISP with a mighty powerful server running linux (quad
processors). First of all, if I took my pov image and made a shell script to
run 4 copies of povray, each doing a 1/4 slice of the scene, would I gain in
performance? I realize that this would be a memory hog beyond all reason.

ALSO, is it possible to run pov through a telnet? Then I could do my test
renders on my home box, ftp the pov to the server, and have a finished copy
when I come in in the morning.

Post a reply to this message

> I work for an ISP with a mighty powerful server running linux (quad
> processors). First of all, if I took my pov image and made a shell script to
> run 4 copies of povray, each doing a 1/4 slice of the scene, would I gain in
> performance? I realize that this would be a memory hog beyond all reason.
>
> ALSO, is it possible to run pov through a telnet? Then I could do my test
> renders on my home box, ftp the pov to the server, and have a finished copy
> when I come in in the morning.

Yes, that's all possible.

Once I get off my lazy bottom and get back to coding, I'll have a Java-based
solution that can be used for this sort of thing.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Post a reply to this message

> I work for an ISP with a mighty powerful server running linux (quad
> processors). First of all, if I took my pov image and made a shell script to
> run 4 copies of povray, each doing a 1/4 slice of the scene, would I gain in
> performance? I realize that this would be a memory hog beyond all reason.
>
> ALSO, is it possible to run pov through a telnet? Then I could do my test
> renders on my home box, ftp the pov to the server, and have a finished copy
> when I come in in the morning.

I use a O2 at work which is well equipped with memory. I do my test on
my machine at home and then I transfer the .pov file to this machine
(via ftp) then start a telnet session to start the job (using nohup
x-povray ... &) and when I arrive in the morning it's most of the time
finished. I guess that's what you wnat to do too, right?

Marc

Post a reply to this message

> I work for an ISP with a mighty powerful server running linux (quad
> processors). First of all, if I took my pov image and made a shell script to
> run 4 copies of povray, each doing a 1/4 slice of the scene, would I gain in
> performance? I realize that this would be a memory hog beyond all reason.

You'd finish the render faster, but you would take up 4x as much
memory.  If you have lots of memory, you're fine.  If you don't have
enough memory, and you start swapping, it may actually take longer to
render.  If your scene is CPU-intensive (media, focal blur, lots of
procedural textures, etc.), you could easily gain.

> ALSO, is it possible to run pov through a telnet? Then I could do my test
> renders on my home box, ftp the pov to the server, and have a finished copy
> when I come in in the morning.

Sure, no problem.  Happens all the time.  You may as well turn display
off if you're going to do that.

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] povrayorg