POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : tricking some SMP with pov : Re: tricking some SMP with pov Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tricking some SMP with pov
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 3 Aug 1999 16:42:52
Message: <37A7551E.5AE1483E@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
D. Stark wrote:

> I work for an ISP with a mighty powerful server running linux (quad
> processors). First of all, if I took my pov image and made a shell script to
> run 4 copies of povray, each doing a 1/4 slice of the scene, would I gain in
> performance? I realize that this would be a memory hog beyond all reason.
>
> ALSO, is it possible to run pov through a telnet? Then I could do my test
> renders on my home box, ftp the pov to the server, and have a finished copy
> when I come in in the morning.

I use a O2 at work which is well equipped with memory. I do my test on
my machine at home and then I transfer the .pov file to this machine
(via ftp) then start a telnet session to start the job (using nohup
x-povray ... &) and when I arrive in the morning it's most of the time
finished. I guess that's what you wnat to do too, right?

Marc