POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : tricking some SMP with pov : Re: tricking some SMP with pov Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tricking some SMP with pov
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 3 Aug 1999 20:13:34
Message: <37A78646.32234A97@mailbag.com>
"D. Stark" wrote:

> I work for an ISP with a mighty powerful server running linux (quad
> processors). First of all, if I took my pov image and made a shell script to
> run 4 copies of povray, each doing a 1/4 slice of the scene, would I gain in
> performance? I realize that this would be a memory hog beyond all reason.

You'd finish the render faster, but you would take up 4x as much
memory.  If you have lots of memory, you're fine.  If you don't have
enough memory, and you start swapping, it may actually take longer to
render.  If your scene is CPU-intensive (media, focal blur, lots of
procedural textures, etc.), you could easily gain.

> ALSO, is it possible to run pov through a telnet? Then I could do my test
> renders on my home box, ftp the pov to the server, and have a finished copy
> when I come in in the morning.

Sure, no problem.  Happens all the time.  You may as well turn display
off if you're going to do that.

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] povrayorg