POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Update/questions on configure;make;make install; Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Update/questions on configure;make;make install; (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Axel Hecht
Subject: Update/questions on configure;make;make install;
Date: 1 Oct 1999 02:57:47
Message: <37F45B41.572820CC@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Hi,
I just wanted to say, that I am still working on cmmi.
Up to now I did alot of Makefile.ams, that didn't work. But I start to
understand it, so I can ask some questions here:

The main idea was to GNUify the build process and directory structure as
much as possible. Just because people compiling software on UNIX are
probably more used to that than to the structure of povray on other
platforms.

So questions go into directory structure and building

Where should the ini's go?
$prefix/etc/povray or $prefix/share/povray/ini
(All includes go to $prefix/share/povray and scene is a subdirectory
there.)
xpovicon.xpm to $prefix/share/icons ?

More important, how many work should be done for the scene tree. As this
is X-platform, most changes won't make it anywhere, so a lot of work
won't pay, right? On the other hand, substituting all-scene.sh with
'make check' would offer parallel execution, and I remember that one
scene did not work because of dependencies.

I have to revamp the build process, because there are too many targets
right now. I figured how to do it, but that would mean, that config.h
would be one file depending on -D switches of the compile step.

For now I left out the sources for libpng and zlib competely, as most
unix-folks have them. Also multiple sources and configures are rarely
done in GNUified builds.

As I work with automake and autoconf, GNU make will be required to build
povray, any problems there?

You see, alot of work with (I think) good reason, but I probably won't
do it, if everything has to be done again for the next version (Mark?)

Axel

Post a reply to this message