POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Update/questions on configure;make;make install; : Re: Update/questions on configure;make;make install; Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Update/questions on configure;make;make install;
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 1 Oct 1999 09:50:46
Message: <37F4BC0C.BA52E76D@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> Axel Hecht wrote:

<...>

> > For now I left out the sources for libpng and zlib competely, as most
> > unix-folks have them. Also multiple sources and configures are rarely
> > done in GNUified builds.
>
> Not all Linux distributions have these, and not all have current
> versions.  Might it be possible to check whether they have libpng and
> zlib already and build them iff they don't?

Well, sorry. zlib would work, because it has a simple configure script,
but the building of libpng is almost more messy than the current povray.
So many scripts for all kind of platforms. We would end up with alot of
ifs, and never make it.
We may have some --with-png=directory --with-zlib=directory though, and
use that for static builds. ?

> > As I work with automake and autoconf, GNU make will be required to build
> > povray, any problems there?
>
> Hmm.  Could we check the version of make with the configure script and
> use a default tweak-it-yourself makefile if they're not running GNU
> make?
>
> Feedback from others? How many people aren't using GNU make?

The main reason is some trailing backslash every now and then, which is
a syntax enhancement of GNU make. But I can't find the exact thing in
the docs right now. And in my current version (only docs) it runs
through. We'll see.

> > You see, alot of work with (I think) good reason, but I probably won't
> > do it, if everything has to be done again for the next version (Mark?)
>
> I'd like to see something along these lines tested openly (broad variety
> of platforms is vital for this, IMHO), and it's easiest to do that with
> 3.1 at this point.  If you're too busy, I can work on this myself, but
> I'm looking forward to user feedback on this.
>
> -Mark Gordon

Axel