POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : OT-ish question about the aero modeller Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  OT-ish question about the aero modeller (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: forkazoo
Subject: OT-ish question about the aero modeller
Date: 30 Jun 1999 22:53:48
Message: <377ad83c@news.povray.org>
Hello, I just downloaded aero.  I am using Linux on a PC.  (Debian Linux, on
an AMD K6-2 333).  I tried getting the bianry version, and installing it.  I
stuck the executable in /usr/X11R6/bin, and IIRC I put the XAero file in
/root/GNUstep/Defaults.  I tried setting the XAPPLRESDIR thingie, but I must
have done it wrong, cuz it don't work.  I know, I shouldn't be running as
root, but it is a completely isolated box, and that is an argument for
another news server.

could somebody give me the correct command for Linux to set the XAPPL... so
I can use aero.

When that didn't work, I tried downloading the source, but that needed the
FWF, which I eventually found.  I can't compile the FWF stuff...  it says I
need imake, and some other thing.  grrr.   I just want to use aero!  Please
help!

On a side note -- the page hasn't been updated in quite a while, so I am
wondering how much work it will be to get it to run with the pov 3.0 I have
installed on my Linux partition?!  It talks about pov 2.0 in the docs.  Oh
well.

Thanks for any help!

Post a reply to this message

> On a side note -- the page hasn't been updated in quite a while, so I am
> wondering how much work it will be to get it to run with the pov 3.0 I have
> installed on my Linux partition?!  It talks about pov 2.0 in the docs.  Oh
> well.
>
> Thanks for any help!

There are two download sites for Aero. One is a much newer version than the
other.

Old
http://www.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/ipvr/bv/aero/aero.html

New