POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux(general quiz) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:51 EDT (-0400)
  Linux(general quiz) (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Re: Linux (general quiz) [warning long post ahead...]
Date: 9 Apr 1999 20:35:26
Message: <370e8ebe.0@news.povray.org>
Luis M. Ibarra <mib### [at] janoestadisticaunammx> wrote:
: global-set-key command. Now for the key how we say "alt-x"?
: well we say it as M-x. As explained in the tutorial ALT key is the same
: as META key

  Nope. At least in this SparcStation the alt-key and the meta-key are two
different keys (the alt-key reads "alt" and the meta-key has a black
square on it) and they are distinguished even by emacs. If I set the
command for M-x it will not work with alt-x.

: *THAT* take you two years to learn?

  Yes.

> Luis M. Ibarra <mib### [at] janoestadisticaunammx> wrote:
> : global-set-key command. Now for the key how we say "alt-x"?
> : well we say it as M-x. As explained in the tutorial ALT key is the same
> : as META key
>
>   Nope. At least in this SparcStation the alt-key and the meta-key are two
> different keys (the alt-key reads "alt" and the meta-key has a black
> square on it) and they are distinguished even by emacs. If I set the
> command for M-x it will not work with alt-x.

I have a machine where the Windows key is the Meta key.  If I alt-x, it
just beeps at me.  I'm not sure whether the same is true of other
Windows keyboards (seems you can't get anything else for Intel machines
any more).

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] mailbagcom