POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux(general quiz) : Re: Linux(general quiz) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux(general quiz)
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 16 Aug 2000 18:52:34
Message: <399B1C55.3D7F380D@free.fr>
Christian Perle wrote:

> I found that syntax hilighting in vim much slower than in elvis. Also,
> elvis's html display mode is very nice :)

Hmm, I think elvis's html display is good for displaying
its documentation, but I'll go to lynx or links for real
text-mode surfing.

As for syntax highlighting, I mostly use vim, I didn't
look at how elvis does it. vim (can) use lots of regexp
in its syntax highlighting, and of course this has a price.

To sum up: elvis for quick editing (a config file, some
html patching) and vim for more "heavy" work (I don't
mean by far that elvis can't do it -- just that I don't
mind launching a "big" executable when I intend to work
for a little while, hence vim, and that I don't like to wait for
an executable to launch when I want to edit a ridiculously
small file, hence elvis).