POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Darwin 3.5? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:55 EDT (-0400)
  Darwin 3.5? (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Elijah Sarver
Subject: Darwin 3.5?
Date: 22 Jul 2002 16:02:20
Message: <220720021602190627%spam-lowmagnet@is-speakeasy.bad-net>
My question is simple: will there be a darwin 3.5 source package or
binary available on fink or through other sources any time soon? The
reason I ask is because the 'official' Mac 3.5 version, while decent,
doesn't offer the raw performance a straight cli app can offer, or at
least that's a theory I want to test. I think a lot of the problems
with 3.5 are due to carbon lib restrictions and the easiest way to
avoid the restrictions is to run the pure unix port.

Any info would be appreciated. Since darwin distros are unofficial, I
haven't seen any word, and so I naturally wonder about progress in this
regard.

--eli

Post a reply to this message

In article <220720021602190627%spa### [at] is-speakeasybad-net>,
Elijah Sarver <spa### [at] is-speakeasybad-net> wrote:

Oops, found my answer, august first for the basic code release. Is this
just a matter of using make?

Post a reply to this message

Elijah Sarver <spa### [at] is-speakeasybad-net> wrote:
> I think a lot of the problems
> with 3.5 are due to carbon lib restrictions and the easiest way to
> avoid the restrictions is to run the pure unix port.

  Which problems?

>> with 3.5 are due to carbon lib restrictions and the easiest way to
>> avoid the restrictions is to run the pure unix port.
>
>   Which problems?

Supposedly that a GUI application cannot get the whole CPU for itself.  Mac
users don't like it if an application does _not_ get the whole CPU for
itself.  Don't ask me why...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg