POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Looking for a interactive viewer Server Time
28 Mar 2024 16:02:51 EDT (-0400)
  Looking for a interactive viewer (Message 1 to 10 of 35)
From: lelama
Subject: Looking for a interactive viewer
Date: 20 Sep 2016 17:15:00
Message: <web.57e1a665901a45167a63dc9f0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I am looking for an interactive viewer "a la Blender".

Something very simple would be sufficient. Starting from a .pov, I would like to
render the file and click on some buttons to change the camera position and
camera.angle in real time and that's all.

Is there something out of the box for Ubuntu ? All modelers I have seen seem
dead.

Post a reply to this message

> I am looking for an interactive viewer "a la Blender".
>
> Something very simple would be sufficient. Starting from a .pov, I would like to
> render the file and click on some buttons to change the camera position and
> camera.angle in real time and that's all.
>
> Is there something out of the box for Ubuntu ? All modelers I have seen seem
> dead.

Do you know that Blender features a POV importer and exporter? Could you tell us
why you don't like it, so we can keep improving it?

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray

Post a reply to this message

> > I am looking for an interactive viewer "a la Blender".
> >
> > Something very simple would be sufficient. Starting from a .pov, I would like to
> > render the file and click on some buttons to change the camera position and
> > camera.angle in real time and that's all.
> >
> > Is there something out of the box for Ubuntu ? All modelers I have seen seem
> > dead.
>
> Do you know that Blender features a POV importer and exporter? Could you tell us
> why you don't like it, so we can keep improving it?
>
> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray

I didn't know it. I will try.

On the video, we only see the full fixed rendering and some wireframe
representation. What I really want is the real time rough representation, not
with wireframes. Within Blender, I can move with the mouse in this rough
rendering to inspect the details of my constructions. This a feature I miss in
povray. To really "see the perspective", I think moving the image is a real
advantage. It is probably as important as the shadow to really "feel" the
perspective.

Thank you for the answer. This is very nice when people try to help :-)

Post a reply to this message

>>> I am looking for an interactive viewer "a la Blender".
>>>
>>> Something very simple would be sufficient. Starting from a .pov, I would like to
>>> render the file and click on some buttons to change the camera position and
>>> camera.angle in real time and that's all.
>>>
>>> Is there something out of the box for Ubuntu ? All modelers I have seen seem
>>> dead.
>>
>> Do you know that Blender features a POV importer and exporter? Could you tell us
>> why you don't like it, so we can keep improving it?
>>
>> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray
>

> I didn't know it. I will try.
>
> On the video, we only see the full fixed rendering and some wireframe
> representation. What I really want is the real time rough representation, not
> with wireframes. Within Blender, I can move with the mouse in this rough
> rendering to inspect the details of my constructions. This a feature I miss in
> povray. To really "see the perspective", I think moving the image is a real
> advantage. It is probably as important as the shadow to really "feel" the
> perspective.
>
> Thank you for the answer. This is very nice when people try to help :-)

There was Moray http://www.stmuc.com/moray/index.html which was a
dedicated modeller to POV-Ray 3.5. It was discontinued for all kind of
reasons and may be revived in a distant future (speculation). In the
meantime and if you are curious, I recommend to play a bit with it. It
can still be very useful in different ways.

Otherwise, there is Bishop3D but I do not know much about it. Stephen is
the expert.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message