POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Looking for a interactive viewer : Re: Looking for a interactive viewer Server Time
25 Apr 2024 18:52:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for a interactive viewer
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Sep 2016 04:08:29
Message: <57e3917d@news.povray.org>
On 21-9-2016 19:04, lelama wrote:
> "Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> "lelama" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am looking for an interactive viewer "a la Blender".
>>>
>>> Something very simple would be sufficient. Starting from a .pov, I would like to
>>> render the file and click on some buttons to change the camera position and
>>> camera.angle in real time and that's all.
>>>
>>> Is there something out of the box for Ubuntu ? All modelers I have seen seem
>>> dead.
>>
>> Do you know that Blender features a POV importer and exporter? Could you tell us
>> why you don't like it, so we can keep improving it?
>>
>> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray
>

> I didn't know it. I will try.
>
> On the video, we only see the full fixed rendering and some wireframe
> representation. What I really want is the real time rough representation, not
> with wireframes. Within Blender, I can move with the mouse in this rough
> rendering to inspect the details of my constructions. This a feature I miss in
> povray. To really "see the perspective", I think moving the image is a real
> advantage. It is probably as important as the shadow to really "feel" the
> perspective.
>
> Thank you for the answer. This is very nice when people try to help :-)

There was Moray http://www.stmuc.com/moray/index.html which was a
dedicated modeller to POV-Ray 3.5. It was discontinued for all kind of
reasons and may be revived in a distant future (speculation). In the
meantime and if you are curious, I recommend to play a bit with it. It
can still be very useful in different ways.

Otherwise, there is Bishop3D but I do not know much about it. Stephen is
the expert.

--
Thomas