POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Textures for fishes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Textures for fishes (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: smb
Subject: Textures for fishes
Date: 28 May 1999 09:46:14
Message: <374E8D8A.7316AD6C@stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Hi All,
I am doing an aquarium with exotic fishes and stones and corals and the
like.
I need textures for this. I am doing the shapes with Rhino and export
the meshes
via Moray to POV. The idea now is, not to have a complete image of the
fish to
stick to the fish, but procedural textures for the body, the fins etc.
I am glad about any hint/link to the subject. I have just some days for
this.
Thanks a lot.

steff

Post a reply to this message

> I am doing an aquarium with exotic fishes and stones and corals and the
> like.
> I need textures for this. I am doing the shapes with Rhino and export
> the meshes
> via Moray to POV. The idea now is, not to have a complete image of the
> fish to
> stick to the fish, but procedural textures for the body, the fins etc.
> I am glad about any hint/link to the subject. I have just some days for
> this.
> Thanks a lot.
>
> steff

I don't know how accurately you modelled your fish and I don't have a
recipe ready yet but I would recommend that you have alook at the IRTC
round water from last year. Maybe some of the contestants have included
their textures for their fish.

http://www.irtc.org

All the Best,

Marc

--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

> > I am doing an aquarium with exotic fishes and stones and corals and the
> > like.
> > I need textures for this. I am doing the shapes with Rhino and export
> > the meshes
> > via Moray to POV. The idea now is, not to have a complete image of the
> > fish to
> > stick to the fish, but procedural textures for the body, the fins etc.
> > I am glad about any hint/link to the subject. I have just some days for
> > this.
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > steff
>
> I don't know how accurately you modelled your fish

Have to still and partly done. Thing is, it's easy and appealing with Rhino,
have the forms quite accurate. Waves in the fins eg, but anyway, just checked

with the irtc link, and the water theme has some competitors with fish etc.
I'll check the sources. Thanks for your tip, Marc. The no. one of this
contest
has a beautiful water indeed, hadn't seen before.
There are some fishes, I like 'naufrage' particularly, but no source there,
it's
rendered in 3ds max.
Haha, actually, there were amazingly few fishes in this round.
Well, still to work with the shapes, though..

> and I don't have a
> recipe ready yet but I would recommend that you have alook at the IRTC
> round water from last year. Maybe some of the contestants have included
> their textures for their fish.
>
> http://www.irtc.org
>
> All the Best,
>
> Marc
>
> --
> Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

> > > I am doing an aquarium with exotic fishes and stones and corals and the
> > > like.
> > > I need textures for this. I am doing the shapes with Rhino and export
> > > the meshes
> > > via Moray to POV. The idea now is, not to have a complete image of the
> > > fish to
> > > stick to the fish, but procedural textures for the body, the fins etc.
> > > I am glad about any hint/link to the subject. I have just some days for
> > > this.
> > > Thanks a lot.
> > >
> > > steff
> >
> > I don't know how accurately you modelled your fish
>
> Have to still and partly done. Thing is, it's easy and appealing with Rhino,
> have the forms quite accurate. Waves in the fins eg, but anyway, just checked
>
> with the irtc link, and the water theme has some competitors with fish etc.
> I'll check the sources. Thanks for your tip, Marc. The no. one of this
> contest
> has a beautiful water indeed, hadn't seen before.
> There are some fishes, I like 'naufrage' particularly, but no source there,
> it's
> rendered in 3ds max.
> Haha, actually, there were amazingly few fishes in this round.
> Well, still to work with the shapes, though..
>
> > and I don't have a
> > recipe ready yet but I would recommend that you have alook at the IRTC
> > round water from last year. Maybe some of the contestants have included
> > their textures for their fish.
> >
> > http://www.irtc.org
> >
> > All the Best,
> >
> > Marc
> >
> > --
> > Marc Schimmler

  The biggest secret to having any chance for success with applying
textures to objects not created directly in Pov is to have them
seperated into as many individual groups as possible when exporting
them from the program that produced them. This alone offers you the
most power towards applying individual texture patterns and types.
  I really mean as many as possible too. For example one of your
fish has a spiney dorsal fin. You made a mesh for the membrane and
then seperate cones for each spine. I would export these as two
seperate groups of objects. You could then texture the membrane with
a clear/dark brown bozo pattern that might match the pigment of the
rest of the fish and maybe a gradient to the cone group that goes
from near black to light brown at the tips. If it were on group
only you could not apply the two seperate texture processes to
them like you could if they were seperate groups.
  Really fish are pretty easy to apply pigments to if you have enough
seperate pieces to work with and I would concentrate more on how you
plan on exporting it to this end.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

> > > I don't know how accurately you modelled your fish
> >
> > Have to still and partly done. Thing is, it's easy and appealing with Rhino,
> > have the forms quite accurate. Waves in the fins eg, but anyway, just checked
> >
> > with the irtc link, and the water theme has some competitors with fish etc.
> > I'll check the sources. Thanks for your tip, Marc. The no. one of this
> > contest
> > has a beautiful water indeed, hadn't seen before.
> > There are some fishes, I like 'naufrage' particularly, but no source there,
> > it's
> > rendered in 3ds max.
> > Haha, actually, there were amazingly few fishes in this round.
> > Well, still to work with the shapes, though..
> >
> > > and I don't have a
> > > recipe ready yet but I would recommend that you have alook at the IRTC
> > > round water from last year. Maybe some of the contestants have included
> > > their textures for their fish.
> > >
> > > http://www.irtc.org
> > >
> > > All the Best,
> > >
> > > Marc
> > >
> > > --
> > > Marc Schimmler
>
>   The biggest secret to having any chance for success with applying
> textures to objects not created directly in Pov is to have them
> seperated into as many individual groups as possible when exporting
> them from the program that produced them.

Pleasure to answer, Ken: Right, that's what I think too. It makes them
easy to turn into something interesting, specially, as the fishes are provided
with a wealth of colors by nature, it shouldn't be possible to make one look
unnatural on that behalf. The more little pieces of different structure, the
easier to apply some pattern+color. I was more or less afraid to get lost
in playing with the possibilities, so my asking to shortcut this procedure.
It takes time. I also find me sometimes playing with Moray/POV well
on purpose but find a texture fitting to another object and get into a feast
of variances, where at the end I wind up with texes and cannot find the
time for the scene anymore. Anyway, to concentrate on the forms and
splits is the next step.

> This alone offers you the
> most power towards applying individual texture patterns and types.
>   I really mean as many as possible too. For example one of your
> fish has a spiney dorsal fin. You made a mesh for the membrane and
> then seperate cones for each spine. I would export these as two
> seperate groups of objects. You could then texture the membrane with
> a clear/dark brown bozo pattern that might match the pigment of the
> rest of the fish and maybe a gradient to the cone group that goes
> from near black to light brown at the tips.

Right. The harmony of color gradients and density. Hope the transparency,
even of the water ( do I add depth to the transparency) doesn't eat up to
much render time. I also will have to see, how fancy I do the light. Halo or
not. But now I'll do the fishes.

> If it were on group
> only you could not apply the two seperate texture processes to

texture on groups kills liveliness.

> them like you could if they were seperate groups.
>   Really fish are pretty easy to apply pigments to if you have enough
> seperate pieces to work with and I would concentrate more on how you
> plan on exporting it to this end.

That's right. Exporting the meshes from Rhino nurbs works like a charm. To
have my shapes right from the beginning, I'll go with seperate pieces from
the start. So the decision is done there. It pays, to think and talk about a
project,
before hopping in and having to do stuff twice. Not, that I hadn't this before.
I also had the idea to make one hyperrealistic fish, with any single scale. Like,
I could apply one basical structural identical texture with an incredible
colorplay,
that varies slightly in hue over the dimension of the fish, with razuresharp
shapes,
so anyone can see, it's not a bitmap, and it looks like a fish, that can't be,
because
one has never seen it, but it must, because it's there. Effect a bit,
as the work of the paintbrusher Helnwein. On the other hand, scales in nature lay
smooth and close on each other, so to have an array in Rhino without collision
(detection) AND variance might be too much work for some days I have.
Hm, hm. I do a coral fish now.

steff