POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : SMP povray design? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:38 EDT (-0400)
  SMP povray design? (Message 21 to 29 of 29)
From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: SMP povray design? (...Starts with an 'L' )
Date: 26 May 1999 13:42:53
Message: <374c248d.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 May 1999 08:51:05 -0700, Jon A. Cruz wrote:
>Argh!
>One year ago I had checked it out on a system with only 32MB (pretty decent at the
>time). Just opening Word (not any docs, just Word) caused it to begin almost
>constant disk-thrashing. I had hoped they had corrected that. Guess not. Good to
>know what practical requirements are (remember Win95 saying '8MB'??? Yeah, right)

If I shut down all my optional services (apache, rc5des) and everything else,
the base system takes up somewhere around 75M, according to Task Manager.
Kernel memory alone is about half that.  So it looks like 96M is a minimal
system for this version of NT.  Disclaimers: I'm not running the official
beta 3, but I'm only about 15 builds behind.  I'm also running some under-
development dlls and drivers that will push the total up a bit.  But, as
you say, we're way off topic here.

Post a reply to this message