POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : SMP povray design? : Re: SMP povray design? (...Starts with an 'L' ) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SMP povray design? (...Starts with an 'L' )
From: Spider
Date: 26 May 1999 20:37:15
Message: <374BC8B2.16AEC1@bahnhof.se>
Whoppa whoppa..

How glad I am I have Linux up and running, ain't I ?

"Jon A. Cruz" wrote:
> Win2k is just Windows NT 5. They had been hoping to be able to drop the 95 OS and
> force everyone up to NT, but it aint going to happen this round. Win9x is alive
> for a while. Of course, since Win2K is just NT 5 renamed, you can then take from
> that the info that it will require even more resources than NT 4, and thus you
> will not be wanting to run that either.
Yep yep.  I sorta know ... It won't go too well wit ha lower end system either..
(I'm running at 200Mhz)

> (Not trying to OS bash, but getting frustrated having to program on Windows. Oy,
> my head)
Welcome to the gang.. I sorta miss the good 'ol' times when I had to use a
hackkk in assembler to get more than 16 Mb avaiable in pascal p-mode.. it was
fun, and I knew what was going on...

> Now, as far as size... You might just want to get good ol' Linux on your box (if
> by size of the OS you mean performance overhead in general). A couple of months
> ago I switched my home system from Win95 to dual boot to Linux and ended up
> staying in Linux most the time, especially for POVRay. This was on a 133 w/ 48 MB
> RAM.
Same here. I now have a few other os'es that I dualboot as well (BeOS really is
nice, but it doesn't really do anything.. *hehe*)

> Oh, and like you I had stayed away from NT (despite having a few legal copies for
> home) due to the weakness of my system. Once I put on Linux & Enlightenment it
> seemed so much more responsive than with 95 (OSR/2).
Well, I had a illegal NT4 copy here as a test.. Can't say it worked all that
great, esp. not with my hardware... it really complained and misbehaved a lot.
fdisk again and bye bye NT.

> (Oh, one other major reason for 9x staying around is becuase of WinNT's
> archetecture just not allowing decent performance for games on lower end systems.
> But then again, you all already knew that)
Yep. And here Linux is really ruling things.

> I almost forgot. To get things back on topic: Linux, of course, does SMP. And
> clustering. (smiling as I dangle these extra carrots). A "Cray-matching Linux
> cluster" anyone??? http://slashdot.org/articles/99/03/10/109215.shtml (drool,
> drool)
Yes... I seem to recall a lot of cluster networks using linux in the past year
or so. always interesting.. perhaps I'll go for it if I get my hands on some
more pc's.. or perhaps not ;)

--
//Spider    --  [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]
And the meek'll inherit what they damn well please