POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povmodeler Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:03:44 EDT (-0400)
  povmodeler (Message 21 to 30 of 51)
From: simbad
Subject: Re: povmodeler
Date: 3 Nov 2019 04:50:00
Message: <web.5dbea297f7e9e6529cfad62f0@news.povray.org>
> "simbad" <Han### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> > I did create a debian-10 package.
> > Could be downloaded here https://simulated-universe.de/povmodeler-0.1-Linux.deb
> >
> > This is my first try ever to create a debian package. It will evolve over time.
>
> I opened it in Mint's Package Installer, and got:
> "Error: dependency is not satisfiable: libglx0"
>
> I tried sudo apt-get install libglx0 (and libglx and libgl) but it couldn't find
> any such package to install.   So I'm not sure what I need to install or where
> to install it from...
>
> then I tried this:
>
> sudo dpkg -i povmodeler-0.1-Linux.deb
> [sudo] password for oem:
> Selecting previously unselected package povmodeler.
> (Reading database ... 288574 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to unpack povmodeler-0.1-Linux.deb ...
> Unpacking povmodeler (0.1) ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of povmodeler:
>  povmodeler depends on libglx0; however:
>   Package libglx0 is not installed.
>  povmodeler depends on libopengl0; however:
>   Package libopengl0 is not installed.
>  povmodeler depends on libqt5core5a (>= 5.11.0~rc1); however:
>   Version of libqt5core5a:amd64 on system is 5.5.1+dfsg-16ubuntu7.6.
>  povmodeler depends on libqt5gui5 (>= 5.7.0); however:
>   Version of libqt5gui5:amd64 on system is 5.5.1+dfsg-16ubuntu7.6.
>  povmodeler depends on libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.11.0~rc1); however:
>   Version of libqt5widgets5:amd64 on system is 5.5.1+dfsg-16ubuntu7.6.
>
> I'll work on it for a little while, but I'm trying this at the end of the day...
> :O

I already setup some more VMs. I create these packages soon for your OS. So
please tell me what OS you use.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Nov 2019 09:30:01
Message: <web.5dbee3d9f7e9e6524eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:

> I have libglx0 and libopengl0 [1], but I'm not sure where they came
> from. AFAICT they are in the normal mint/ubuntu repos.

I haven't done a lot with the PPA / repositories  --- I've just sort of cut and
pasted command line stuff from some betty crocker web pages as I've needed them,
so I don't know which ones I'm plugged into and which ones are "the normal
ones".

> The Qt >= 5.11 is problematic.  That is way too new to be in any debian
> distros. Baldy is Mint 19.1 with QT 5.5.  I am Mint 19.2 (newest
> version, 2 months old) and that is QT 5.9.

I'm presuming that I need to do more than just a simple "sudo apt-get upgrade",
since I've done that a few times in recent memory, and it looks like I'm still
lagging behind you, Speedy.

Mint 19.3 is scheduled for December.  Maybe I'll figure out how to install that
and see if it fixes some things...
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/10/linux-mint-19-3-tricia-release-features

With regard to QTPOV-Ray:  I find that - too often - I'm doing something that
pastes a bit of copied text into my scene in what looks like random places.
Maybe I'm clicking a mouse button or using a keystroke when I'm actually in the
editor but I think I'm in the browser window or the system's text editor...
But I was wondering if any such thing ever happened to you.
I'm forever scratching my head, wondering "How did THAT get in there...?"
That mouse-click-paste is a dangerously easy thing to inadvertently do.
Can I disable?

> [1] $ apt-cache show libglx0

My terminal typeface has that nice "dotted zero", but my GUI typeface seems to
use one that makes it look too much like O.  :|

Ever since I tried using Redshift to relieve some eye strain and it took me
forever to shut it off (I think I resorted to ps, grep, and "kill -9 [pid]"  :D
) I haven't fiddled with the greebles and frobs much...

Post a reply to this message

> Ever since I tried using Redshift to relieve some eye strain and it took me
> forever to shut it off (I think I resorted to ps, grep, and "kill -9 [pid]"  :D
> ) I haven't fiddled with the greebles and frobs much...

there's also 'killall' which has the advantage of taking names, eg killall
redshift.

personally, I prefer the 'kill -s SIG pid' notation.  safer in use, imo.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
>
>> I have libglx0 and libopengl0 [1], but I'm not sure where they came
>> from. AFAICT they are in the normal mint/ubuntu repos.
>
> I haven't done a lot with the PPA / repositories  --- I've just sort of cut and
> pasted command line stuff from some betty crocker web pages as I've needed them,
> so I don't know which ones I'm plugged into and which ones are "the normal
> ones".

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
contains the normal ones.  Any you add are in their own file, like
qtpovray-qtpovray-bionic.list

>> The Qt >= 5.11 is problematic.  That is way too new to be in any debian
>> distros. Baldy is Mint 19.1 with QT 5.5.  I am Mint 19.2 (newest
>> version, 2 months old) and that is QT 5.9.
>
> I'm presuming that I need to do more than just a simple "sudo apt-get upgrade",
> since I've done that a few times in recent memory, and it looks like I'm still
> lagging behind you, Speedy.

*You* shouldn't have to do anything.  It's up to the dev to try to
broaden his potential user base (which is pretty small to begin with)
and not use bleeding edge versions.  If he is cutting debian versions,
he needs to use supported debian versions as much as possible.

(Unless absolutely necessary, which in this case is a port from 2005's
Qt 3, so I doubt there is anything Qt 5.11 specific)

> With regard to QTPOV-Ray:  I find that - too often - I'm doing something that
> pastes a bit of copied text into my scene in what looks like random places.
> Maybe I'm clicking a mouse button or using a keystroke when I'm actually in the
> editor but I think I'm in the browser window or the system's text editor...
> But I was wondering if any such thing ever happened to you.
> I'm forever scratching my head, wondering "How did THAT get in there...?"
> That mouse-click-paste is a dangerously easy thing to inadvertently do.
> Can I disable?

That middle-mouse-button-paste thing is indeed a pita, and really
useless.  It is left over from the '80s and I can't believe it's still a
thing.
I do it rarely, accidentally, of course.  I looked at disabling it, it's
not easy and doesn't really work for me.  Solution: Don't do that.

--
dik
Rendered 22,077,619,200 of 40,928,716,800 pixels (53%)

Post a reply to this message

Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:

> *You* shouldn't have to do anything.  It's up to the dev to try to
> broaden his potential user base (which is pretty small to begin with)
> and not use bleeding edge versions.  If he is cutting debian versions,
> he needs to use supported debian versions as much as possible.
>
> (Unless absolutely necessary, which in this case is a port from 2005's
> Qt 3, so I doubt there is anything Qt 5.11 specific)
>

> --
> dik
> Rendered 22,077,619,200 of 40,928,716,800 pixels (53%)

Full ack to this. It is my responsibility to make the packages work. But as its
the first time doing that, I need some more days to upgrade my dev environment.
I think it would be a good idea to have some different systems available to not
only check the installation procedure but the build process as well.

To setup a specific distribution into a VM only takes an hour or so. It is ok to
support my efforts, but I need the VMs anyway. So dont risk your own
installation.

That I used a debian-10 busty as my first debian environment, that has the
qt5.11 libs, was sheer coincidence. But, hey. No problem doing it again with a
mint 19.2 and mint 19.1 next. The VMs already up.

Post a reply to this message