POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povmodeler : Re: povmodeler Server Time
28 Apr 2024 18:40:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povmodeler
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 3 Nov 2019 10:59:40
Message: <5dbef96c$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/3/19 9:27 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:

> Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
>
>> I have libglx0 and libopengl0 [1], but I'm not sure where they came
>> from. AFAICT they are in the normal mint/ubuntu repos.
>
> I haven't done a lot with the PPA / repositories  --- I've just sort of cut and
> pasted command line stuff from some betty crocker web pages as I've needed them,
> so I don't know which ones I'm plugged into and which ones are "the normal
> ones".

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
contains the normal ones.  Any you add are in their own file, like
qtpovray-qtpovray-bionic.list

>> The Qt >= 5.11 is problematic.  That is way too new to be in any debian
>> distros. Baldy is Mint 19.1 with QT 5.5.  I am Mint 19.2 (newest
>> version, 2 months old) and that is QT 5.9.
>
> I'm presuming that I need to do more than just a simple "sudo apt-get upgrade",
> since I've done that a few times in recent memory, and it looks like I'm still
> lagging behind you, Speedy.

*You* shouldn't have to do anything.  It's up to the dev to try to
broaden his potential user base (which is pretty small to begin with)
and not use bleeding edge versions.  If he is cutting debian versions,
he needs to use supported debian versions as much as possible.

(Unless absolutely necessary, which in this case is a port from 2005's
Qt 3, so I doubt there is anything Qt 5.11 specific)

> With regard to QTPOV-Ray:  I find that - too often - I'm doing something that
> pastes a bit of copied text into my scene in what looks like random places.
> Maybe I'm clicking a mouse button or using a keystroke when I'm actually in the
> editor but I think I'm in the browser window or the system's text editor...
> But I was wondering if any such thing ever happened to you.
> I'm forever scratching my head, wondering "How did THAT get in there...?"
> That mouse-click-paste is a dangerously easy thing to inadvertently do.
> Can I disable?

That middle-mouse-button-paste thing is indeed a pita, and really
useless.  It is left over from the '80s and I can't believe it's still a
thing.
I do it rarely, accidentally, of course.  I looked at disabling it, it's
not easy and doesn't really work for me.  Solution: Don't do that.

--
dik
Rendered 22,077,619,200 of 40,928,716,800 pixels (53%)