POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Compiling POVRAY 3.5 using VC6.0 in Release Mode Server Time
2 Jun 2024 08:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling POVRAY 3.5 using VC6.0 in Release Mode (Message 1 to 10 of 40)
From: Maurya
Subject: Compiling POVRAY 3.5 using VC6.0 in Release Mode
Date: 22 Aug 2003 21:35:01
Message: <web.3f46c4398e69b4cac22240400@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I tried to compile the source code of povray 3.5 in Debug mode using VC++
and it worked fine but it gives an INTERNAL COMPILATION ERROR at different
places in the release mode in files like blob.cpp lighting.cpp

When I turn off all the optimizations then it compiles back. But then
release mode has not meaning.

Anybody has any clue about this problem?

Thanks a lot in advance !
Maurya

Post a reply to this message

> I tried to compile the source code of povray 3.5 in Debug mode using VC++
> and it worked fine but it gives an INTERNAL COMPILATION ERROR at different
> places in the release mode in files like blob.cpp lighting.cpp
>
> When I turn off all the optimizations then it compiles back. But then
> release mode has not meaning.
>
> Anybody has any clue about this problem?

The compiler is defective.  Try to install all service packs, maybe it works
better, there is nothing else you can do to fix the compiler your have.  It
if still does work, upgrade.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

There is a problem with using some optimizations on some of the source
files.  You can try different configurations, but using the "omit frame
pointer" or "generate intrinsic functions" are the two that cause the
most problem for me.  Plus, a lot of the POV code has aliased variables
(in an attempt to speed up the code) that confuses most compilers, so
you should use the appropriate switches.