POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Rendering CDs (diffraction) Server Time
17 May 2024 04:44:45 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering CDs (diffraction) (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Warwick
Subject: Rendering CDs (diffraction)
Date: 12 Jan 2005 05:25:00
Message: <web.41e4fa17439a08055c365a340@news.povray.org>
Hi folks.

I'm trying to work out how to render some complex surfaces with a CD-like
diffractive finish. I can't visualise it, so I can't cheat as I would if I
only wanted a CD: I want the computer to calculate it for me.

I can't find any mention of diffraction in the POV-Ray keywords; can someone
confirm that it's not supported? Is anyone working on something like this?

If not, the 'irid' keyword changes colour based on light/surface angle, and
I know diffraction is related to the incident angle (and wavelength, path
difference, etc), so I'm guessing I could start hacking things there and
mess about with photons?

Cheers,

Tim

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to work out how to render some complex surfaces with a CD-like
> diffractive finish. I can't visualise it, so I can't cheat as I would if I
> only wanted a CD: I want the computer to calculate it for me.

That's fine but please note that this is wrong group for discutting this. Your
question is about scene source code technic _for_ POV-Ray at run-time while
this group is about issues related to source code _of_ POV-Ray and building of
this application. This is a common misconception which could be avoided by
reading http://news.povray.org/%3C3D4C20DA.40C33E49%40pacbell.net%3E

http://www.google.com/search?q=diffraction+site:povray.org

http://runevision.com/show.asp?id=95

> If not, the 'irid' keyword changes colour based on light/surface angle, and
> I know diffraction is related to the incident angle (and wavelength, path
> difference, etc), so I'm guessing I could start hacking things there and
> mess about with photons?

One can argue whether using photons is a hack or not ;-)

ABX

Post a reply to this message