POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Rendering CDs (diffraction) : Re: Rendering CDs (diffraction) Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:02:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering CDs (diffraction)
From: Matt Denham
Date: 24 Nov 2005 01:45:00
Message: <web.4385604cf6fe361774f3166b0@news.povray.org>
"Mike C" <the### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Warwick" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > doing - what are POVRay's native units anyway?
>
> If memeory serves me right, there are none -- if I use a box from <0,0,0> to
> <1,1,1> in the SDL file, it could end up being a square centimetre, a
> square inch, or a square hectare.
I dunno...  what with it being from <0,0,0> to <1,1,1>, I think it's more
likely a cubic whatever than a square whatever.  (Heh.)

But yeah - there are no innate units to the coordinates.  Just make sure
that 1u is consistent between all objects, or you run into six-inch-tall
streetlights, a donut the size of a VW Beetle, etc.

(Also...  if memory serves, isn't a hectare a unit of area already?  So a
square hectare is...  um...  10^8 quartic [tesseractic?  There's no really
GOOD term for it, y'know] meters.  Dunno about you, but I prefer keeping my
measurements in 3-space at most...  saves headaches for the readers.  :->)