POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Rendering CDs (diffraction) : Re: Rendering CDs (diffraction) Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:09:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering CDs (diffraction)
From: ABX
Date: 12 Jan 2005 05:40:06
Message: <evu9u0dppbtdct1t6rrr8luedfftr0osjd@4ax.com>
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 05:22:26 EST, "Warwick" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi folks.

Hi.

> I'm trying to work out how to render some complex surfaces with a CD-like
> diffractive finish. I can't visualise it, so I can't cheat as I would if I
> only wanted a CD: I want the computer to calculate it for me.

That's fine but please note that this is wrong group for discutting this. Your
question is about scene source code technic _for_ POV-Ray at run-time while
this group is about issues related to source code _of_ POV-Ray and building of
this application. This is a common misconception which could be avoided by
reading http://news.povray.org/%3C3D4C20DA.40C33E49%40pacbell.net%3E

http://www.google.com/search?q=diffraction+site:povray.org

> can someone confirm that it's not supported? Is anyone working on something like
this?

http://runevision.com/show.asp?id=95

> If not, the 'irid' keyword changes colour based on light/surface angle, and
> I know diffraction is related to the incident angle (and wavelength, path
> difference, etc), so I'm guessing I could start hacking things there and
> mess about with photons?

One can argue whether using photons is a hack or not ;-)

ABX