POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Compiling POVRAY 3.5 using VC6.0 in Release Mode Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling POVRAY 3.5 using VC6.0 in Release Mode (Message 11 to 20 of 40)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Compiling POVRAY 3.5 using VC6.0 in Release Mode
Date: 26 Nov 2007 12:39:22
Message: <474b04ca$1@news.povray.org>

> Get Visual C 7.1 or later and be done with it.

I have always compiled POV-Ray on Windows using MinGW GCC. No problems
at all.

Last time I tried Microsoft Visual Something, I took me long to even
figure out how to compile. And it failed anyway. And it changed two
dozen file associations without even asking. What's worse is that they
didn't get restored or at least deleted on uninstall, so all .c, .cpp,
etc files were trying to open with a program that didn't exist anymore.

Post a reply to this message

> > Get Visual C 7.1 or later and be done with it.
>
> I have always compiled POV-Ray on Windows using MinGW GCC. No problems
> at all.
>
> Last time I tried Microsoft Visual Something, I took me long to even
> figure out how to compile. And it failed anyway. And it changed two
> dozen file associations without even asking. What's worse is that they
> didn't get restored or at least deleted on uninstall, so all .c, .cpp,
> etc files were trying to open with a program that didn't exist anymore.

I am confused with more than 100 files for what seems every OS:
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/mingw/?fisel=0-9,a-z,A-Z

I am running win98SE VC6 with no problems;
what file?

Post a reply to this message

> I am confused with more than 100 files for what seems every OS:
> http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/mingw/?fisel=0-9,a-z,A-Z
>
> I am running win98SE VC6 with no problems;
> what file?

I used this guide:
http://arrozcru.no-ip.org/ffmpeg_wiki/tiki-index.php?page=MSys_MinGW

Post a reply to this message