POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Extending #read, another option... Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  Extending #read, another option... (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Kitsune e
Subject: Extending #read, another option...
Date: 11 May 2003 22:55:03
Message: <web.3ebf0c7ca214be38a7ab6a390@news.povray.org>
I like Hugo Asm am by no means a C or C++ programmer.  I can however write
programs in other languages.  I came here to the programming forum to
second Hugo's request for some extensions to the #read directive in SDL.
Namely I was going to request the addition of some of the standerd file
reading functions:

get current byte position in an open file
set current byte position in an open file
return a string containing all data until the next newline charicture (get
line)

But while reading the replies to the post made by Hugo it occured to me that
no matter how many new directives are added to sdl it will never satisfy
everyone's needs.  What Povray needs is a plug-ins API...

Amazing work has been done in the form of patchs like MegaPov, MLPov,
SlimePov etc.  And in the case of MegaPov many patches have been brought
together to form the most advanced Pov pre 3.5.  Each of these is seperate
though, they do not work together, and a scene writen for one will not
neccisarily work with another.  Would it not make more sense to have a
standard method for writing plug-ins to extend Povrays capabilities?  So
that the user would be able to chose which patches or features he or she
needs at any one time, and so that the user could use different patches
together in the same scene without needing to create a custom compile
themselves?

It would be difficult... In fact I don't think any one person could write a
standardized API to the Povray render engine.  It would take a team of
programmers working together.  But having a direct interface would allow
other programers to write useful utilities, extensions, objects and more
without spending months or years studying the Povray modules and how they
work together.

I cannot say how this could or should be done, I am just an artist.  I can
program enough to make little utilities and tools for the work I do.  I
have seen the source for Povray, and I cannot believe anyone can create
such a huge and amazing program.  What I do know is that the current patch
system is limiting the number of people who can contribute to Povrays
abilities, and that a scriptable or programable interface could allow
greater versitility to this alread powerful tool.

Perhapse though this should be a feature for the next version of Povray, let
everyone start with an official unpatched version and build from there.
Wish I could help more on the implimentation of this, I really think it
would be a useful addition...

Post a reply to this message