POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Extending #read, another option... : Re: Extending #read, another option... Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:39:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extending #read, another option...
From: Kitsune e
Date: 13 May 2003 10:50:11
Message: <web.3ec105132a3b3a27f73ed81b0@news.povray.org>
>Before I respond to your "idea", I would like to make clear for everyone:
>This group is not meant for *any* kind of feature requests by *users*.  It
>is for, and only for "Programming related discussion (i.e. source code
>etc.)" of POV-Ray by *programmers* knowing or having (specific) questions
>about the POV-Ray source code.  So, please do not clutter this group with
>unrelated discussion.  The extreme noise level in this group by people who
>got lost (due to the many groups) has always been a big problem in this
>group, but *please* lets not make it worse!
>
>> But while reading the replies to the post made by Hugo it occured to me that
>> no matter how many new directives are added to sdl it will never satisfy
>> everyone's needs.  What Povray needs is a plug-ins API...
>
>No, it does not and will not get such *nonsense* for good reasons that
>should be really obvious to a programmer.  If not, just look back at the
>previous replies to this "plugin idea", usually coming up about once a
>year...

I would not have posted here except that it was requested that I post here
by Hugo.  Also I attempted to shift the discusion into a more programming
oriented direction.

As for non-sense I do not understand why how giving other programs access to
Povray's internal data is non-sense, or why it cannot be made portable
among machines with similar architecture?