POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Extending #read, another option... : Re: Extending #read, another option... Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:13:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extending #read, another option...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 May 2003 03:06:34
Message: <3ebf47fa$1@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3ebf0c7ca214be38a7ab6a390@news.povray.org> , "Kitsune_e"
<kit### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I like Hugo Asm am by no means a C or C++ programmer.  I can however write
> programs in other languages.  I came here to the programming forum to
> second Hugo's request for some extensions to the #read directive in SDL.
> Namely I was going to request the addition of some of the standerd file
> reading functions:

Before I respond to your "idea", I would like to make clear for everyone:
This group is not meant for *any* kind of feature requests by *users*.  It
is for, and only for "Programming related discussion (i.e. source code
etc.)" of POV-Ray by *programmers* knowing or having (specific) questions
about the POV-Ray source code.  So, please do not clutter this group with
unrelated discussion.  The extreme noise level in this group by people who
got lost (due to the many groups) has always been a big problem in this
group, but *please* lets not make it worse!

> But while reading the replies to the post made by Hugo it occured to me that
> no matter how many new directives are added to sdl it will never satisfy
> everyone's needs.  What Povray needs is a plug-ins API...

No, it does not and will not get such *nonsense* for good reasons that
should be really obvious to a programmer.  If not, just look back at the
previous replies to this "plugin idea", usually coming up about once a
year...

    Thorsten

(Note: While an official POV-Team response would find nicer words, the point
would remain the same.)

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.