POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 3D in java Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:42:31 EDT (-0400)
  3D in java (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: IIVQ
Subject: 3D in java
Date: 22 Nov 2002 14:00:10
Message: <web.3dde7d9ba90910c678085f090@news.povray.org>
Hi
For a university project we need to make a 3d programme in Java.
And unfortunately, we're not allowed to use the Java3D classes, so we will
have to make either a renderer or a raytracer (or both) in java...
Does anyone know where I can find more information on:
-Simple instructions to make your own raytracer/renderer
-A simple parser (ie: what does a parser need to do? things like bounding
boxes etc)
-Java 3d programming examples. (not using Java3D)

I ask this here because I'm for some time a Pov user and I know there are a
lot of people here with programming knowledge.
The problem is that information is harder to find than I thought...

If people here seem interested, I'll post here more often about our
advancing...

---
Tijmen Stam
Flyin' High

Post a reply to this message

 "IIVQ" <tij### [at] stamadviesnl> wrote:

> For a university project we need to make a 3d programme in Java.
> And unfortunately, we're not allowed to use the Java3D classes, so we will
> have to make either a renderer or a raytracer (or both) in java...

First, a terminology correction: a raytracer *is* a renderer. Anything
that generates a picture is a renderer. I think you were thinking of the
difference between scanline rendering and raytracing.

> Does anyone know where I can find more information on:
> -Simple instructions to make your own raytracer/renderer

Raytracing info:
http://www.3dspot.com/raytracing.html

Simple raytracer tutorial:
http://www.2tothex.com/raytracing/

Lots of raytracers here:
http://www.cfxweb.net/files/Sources/Effects/Raytrace/

A Siggraph overview of raytracing:
<http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/raytrace/rtrace0.
htm>

Ray Tracing News:
http://www1.acm.org/pubs/tog/resources/RTNews/html/

> -A simple parser (ie: what does a parser need to do? things like bounding
> boxes etc)

A parser just needs to read in a file and convert it to an internal
representation or follow commands in it to create an internal
representation. It's mainly string manipulation, reading in data from a
file. If you can't figure out how to make a simple one you probably
wouldn't understand a detailed explanation.
Bounding boxes don't have anything to do with a parser.

> -Java 3d programming examples. (not using Java3D)

Hmm...can't really help here. You need to be a bit more specific...I'd
start with a 3D vector class and the other 3D math basics. There's lots
of this stuff out there.

> The problem is that information is harder to find than I thought...

http://www.google.com/

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

Heh, an exceptional amount of dead links there, of the links I tried only
ftp.povray.org and some other ftp site with old POV versions actually
worked...

Post a reply to this message

tij### [at] stamadviesnl wrote on 22/11/02 6:55 pm:

> Hi
> For a university project we need to make a 3d programme in Java.
> And unfortunately, we're not allowed to use the Java3D classes, so we will
> have to make either a renderer or a raytracer (or both) in java...
> Does anyone know where I can find more information on:
> -Simple instructions to make your own raytracer/renderer
> -A simple parser (ie: what does a parser need to do? things like bounding
> boxes etc)
> -Java 3d programming examples. (not using Java3D)

Hi Tijmen,
Have a look at this library http://www.cmlab.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~robin/JavaGL/
(This is an openGL bind written in pure Java).
There is an open source raytracer written in Java. I think it is called
Raja. Just type that in Google and see if you can find it.

Hope that helps.

All the best

Fidel.