POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : bitmap/gif/jpg/tar as texture? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  bitmap/gif/jpg/tar as texture? (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
Subject: bitmap/gif/jpg/tar as texture?
Date: 3 Oct 2000 12:27:51
Message: <39da0907@news.povray.org>
How can I load a bitmap or another file as texture?
Could you give me a example?

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: bitmap/gif/jpg/tar as texture?
Date: 3 Oct 2000 12:30:42
Message: <slrn8tk2e5.dek.ron.parker@fwi.com>

>How can I load a bitmap or another file as texture?

This is not the appropriate group for this question.  This group is for
discussion of the POV source code, not the POV script language.  Please
ask in povray.newusers, and take a moment to read the materials provided
in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.
Proudly not helping RIAA and SDMI steal my rights --
  http://www.eff.org/Misc/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector/HTML/effect13.08.html

Post a reply to this message

> This is not the appropriate group for this question.

Seeing this again and again: wouldn't be it better to rename this group?
To povray.c-source-code, povray.sourcecode, or something like this?
programming is really misleading name.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 4 Oct 2000 19:36:37
Message: <39dbbf05@news.povray.org>
"Vahur Krouverk" <vah### [at] aetecee> wrote in message
news:39D### [at] aetecee...
| Ron Parker wrote:
| >
| > This is not the appropriate group for this question.
| >
| Seeing this again and again: wouldn't be it better to rename this group?
| To povray.c-source-code, povray.sourcecode, or something like this?
| programming is really misleading name.

Nice idea but unfortunately many people tend to call scripting "code"; I've
even seen it said to be "source code" although it's not the programming
kind.
The name programming fits I believe, the person posting needs to at least
check other posts in a group to get a better idea of what it's all about if
they never posted to it before.
There will always be a stray, so no reason to bother about this IMO.
(not speaking for the others)

Bob

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 5 Oct 2000 06:57:51
Message: <39dc5eae@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes <per### [at] aolcom?subject=pov-news:> wrote:
: the person posting needs to at least
: check other posts in a group to get a better idea of what it's all about

... and then they see threads titled like this one and think that it's ok
to post question about povray scripting language here.

From: Ron Parker
Subject: What's appropriate in this group (was Re: bitmap/gif/jpg/tar as texture?)
Date: 5 Oct 2000 08:45:25
Message: <slrn8totvb.k1q.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On 5 Oct 2000 06:57:51 -0400, Warp wrote:
>Bob Hughes <per### [at] aolcom?subject=pov-news:> wrote:
>: the person posting needs to at least
>: check other posts in a group to get a better idea of what it's all about
>
>... and then they see threads titled like this one and think that it's ok
>to post question about povray scripting language here.

So what would you recommend?  Aggressive cancels of off-topic posts?

From: Warp
Date: 5 Oct 2000 09:33:30
Message: <39dc832a@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
: So what would you recommend?  Aggressive cancels of off-topic posts?

  The solution is not easy.

  The most easy solution might the one already proposed: Renaming the
group. The only problem would be then which name to use. It's not easy
to come up with a name that doesn't cause confusions.

  Cancelling off-topic messages is a bit radical. Redirecting them to an
appropriate group would mean unnecessary extra work for someone. Also making
the group moderated has the same problem.

  So I don't know if there's any easy and infallible solution.
  Of all solutions, perhaps the renaming could be the best in my opinion.

From: Ken
Date: 5 Oct 2000 10:33:24
Message: <39DC902F.333553BA@pacbell.net>
Warp wrote:

> Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
> : So what would you recommend?  Aggressive cancels of off-topic posts?
>
>   The solution is not easy.
>
>   The most easy solution might the one already proposed: Renaming the
> group. The only problem would be then which name to use. It's not easy
> to come up with a name that doesn't cause confusions.
>
>   Cancelling off-topic messages is a bit radical. Redirecting them to an
> appropriate group would mean unnecessary extra work for someone. Also making
> the group moderated has the same problem.
>
>   So I don't know if there's any easy and infallible solution.
>   Of all solutions, perhaps the renaming could be the best in my opinion.

Renaming this group would likely mean losing the current contents
wouldn't it ?

Personally I think peer pressure works and should be continued.

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 5 Oct 2000 10:59:19
Message: <39dc9747$1@news.povray.org>
In article <39DC902F.333553BA@pacbell.net> , Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet>
wrote:

> Renaming this group would likely mean losing the current contents
> wouldn't it ?

No.  Or, if it would, it is possible to repost everything semi-automatically
if someone has all posts (this has already been done on this server once in
a private group to get CSi content up).  So, either way, no contents would
be lost.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: Ron Parker
Date: 5 Oct 2000 11:10:42
Message: <slrn8tp6fp.k62.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:59:13 -0500, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <39DC902F.333553BA@pacbell.net> , Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet>
>wrote:
>
>> Renaming this group would likely mean losing the current contents
>> wouldn't it ?
>
>No.  Or, if it would, it is possible to repost everything semi-automatically
>if someone has all posts (this has already been done on this server once in
>a private group to get CSi content up).  So, either way, no contents would
>be lost.

I have all of the posts that are currently in this group, but just blindly
reposting them might not work (The server probably doesn't accept posts with
dates too far in the past.)  All together, they're only 8M uncompressed, so
it wouldn't be a huge job to get them all reposted.