POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A silly idea for motion blur ? Server Time
27 Jul 2024 20:29:52 EDT (-0400)
  A silly idea for motion blur ? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: A silly idea for motion blur ?
Date: 28 Jun 2004 04:28:25
Message: <Xns95166A8B3A267jgrimbertmeandmyself@203.29.75.35>
I was reading in p.g some articles about faked motion blur and an idea
strike me (heavy dommage, subjet might not survive...).

What about adding to pov a kind of CSG object whose ray calculation would
perform the blur itself.
Something like

blurred {
    <OBJECT>
    moving <3d vector of displacement>
 }

Of course, "moving" would only take care of translation.
It might be necessary (later ?) to also take care of complex rotation
(such as revolution and rotation along another point, if doing some solar
system, or along some splines (at least 3 ? or more ? or less ?))

The blurred routines would sample and average the color computation
(which requires somehow to forbid refraction and reflection from the
blurred object with the classical engine, but that might be done by
forcing ambient and other finish setting...)

Also, the sampling might be automatic (like AA ?) or manually set.

Any thought about that idea ?
(I might try it once the 3.6 code become available... no promise).

Did I overlook something ?

--

l'habillement, les chaussures que le maquillage et les accessoires.

Post a reply to this message

> What about adding to pov a kind of CSG object whose ray calculation would
> perform the blur itself.

	I don't see much how it differs from the motion blur feature in
older MegaPOV 0.x .  Don't you think ?  Or maybe I don't understand your
point here.

	- NC

Post a reply to this message

>> What about adding to pov a kind of CSG object whose ray calculation
>> would perform the blur itself.
>
>      I don't see much how it differs from the motion blur feature in
> older MegaPOV 0.x .  Don't you think ?  Or maybe I don't understand
> your point here.

ah... I did not know older MegaPov already did it.
Did it perform well ?
Was there any problem ?
Have you any pointer to more information ?
You mentioned "older" MegaPov: does it means it was not reported ? has-it
been superceded by a better system ?