POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Spiral objects etc Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:51 EDT (-0400)
  Spiral objects etc (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: A Ratcliffe
Subject: Spiral objects etc
Date: 13 Jun 1998 22:55:48
Message: <6lve78$67f$1@oz.aussie.org>
I need to create spiral images for spiral-carved table legs etc. I have
discovered that it can be done using the sphere sweep modification to
PovRay. I'm slightly wary though.

TMPov can do sphere sweeps but it is unsupported by the PovRay team. I can
get C code to compile my povray to use sphere sweeps, but there is a
problem.

No offence, but I don't want to wreck my current povray installation by
converting it to something which a) is unsupported, and b) I will lose next
time a version comes out....

To this end is there any way to create such objects without modifying
Povray, possibly via triangle-patchs properly modelled. I have SPatch, and
Moray, but though they both do rotational sweeps, neither of them consider
that a translation might be required.

Can anyone suggest some software to supply povray/moray with the object I'm
looking for, or if not, is there any way of faking it?

Yours hopefully,

Andrew Ratcliffe
ara### [at] aratcliffedemoncouk

Post a reply to this message

This is more of a question than an answer.  Can TMPov just be used with the
modified pvengine.exe like the isosurface patch?  If so, then you could run it
from a different directory without touching your current installation.  All the
preferences will be the same.  That's the way I use the iso surface patch and
haven't had a problem.

A Ratcliffe wrote:

> I need to create spiral images for spiral-carved table legs etc. I have
> discovered that it can be done using the sphere sweep modification to
> PovRay. I'm slightly wary though.
>
> TMPov can do sphere sweeps but it is unsupported by the PovRay team. I can
> get C code to compile my povray to use sphere sweeps, but there is a
> problem.
>
> No offence, but I don't want to wreck my current povray installation by
> converting it to something which a) is unsupported, and b) I will lose next
> time a version comes out....
>
> To this end is there any way to create such objects without modifying
> Povray, possibly via triangle-patchs properly modelled. I have SPatch, and
> Moray, but though they both do rotational sweeps, neither of them consider
> that a translation might be required.
>
> Can anyone suggest some software to supply povray/moray with the object I'm
> looking for, or if not, is there any way of faking it?
>
> Yours hopefully,
>
> Andrew Ratcliffe
> ara### [at] aratcliffedemoncouk

Post a reply to this message

>This is more of a question than an answer.  Can TMPov just be used with the
>modified pvengine.exe like the isosurface patch?  If so, then you could run
it
>from a different directory without touching your current installation.  All
the
>preferences will be the same.  That's the way I use the iso surface patch
and
>haven't had a problem.

Yep. Just name it differently, is all. =)

Post a reply to this message