POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Irradiance gradient & radiosity Server Time
5 Jul 2024 16:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Irradiance gradient & radiosity (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Mael
Subject: Irradiance gradient & radiosity
Date: 15 Mar 2003 05:29:52
Message: <3e7300a0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I've read http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/papers/erw92/paper.pdf which
explains how to use irradiance gradient (rotational (rotation of the normal)
and translational (sample point translated)) to improve extrapolation of
radiosity between sampling locations. Then I looked at pov source and I
didn't recognize anything in the gradient it calculate, in fact I don't
understand what exactly is this gradient... I tried to desactivate it then
render some radiosity scenes but see no differences ! I may have done
something wrong, so if anyone can confirm this .. ?
The rotational gradient seems easy to add to pov radiosity, but the
translational gradient is more difficult to implement (because it uses
radiance differences between neightboring samples)

> explains how to use irradiance gradient (rotational (rotation of the normal)
> and translational (sample point translated)) to improve extrapolation of
> radiosity between sampling locations. Then I looked at pov source and I
> didn't recognize anything in the gradient it calculate, in fact I don't
> understand what exactly is this gradient... I tried to desactivate it then
> render some radiosity scenes but see no differences ! I may have done
> something wrong, so if anyone can confirm this .. ?
> The rotational gradient seems easy to add to pov radiosity, but the
> translational gradient is more difficult to implement (because it uses
> radiance differences between neightboring samples)

I am not sure if i understand you correctly but POV-Ray already calculates
and uses the translational gradients of the illumination values to improve
the results.  I have not tried to deactivate this with the RAD_GRADIENT
switch but i guess this would make a difference.

Concerning what irradiance gradients are - they are the rate at which the
illumination changes when changing certain variables, in case of the
translational gradients when changing the position.  How this is estimated
is described in the paper you cited.

Christoph