POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : sphere_sweep, lathe and blob optimization. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  sphere_sweep, lathe and blob optimization. (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Massimo Valentini
Subject: sphere_sweep, lathe and blob optimization.
Date: 26 Dec 2002 15:21:17
Message: <3e0b64bd@news.povray.org>
I posted a simple patch to povray.binaries.programming that decreases
sensibly the rendering time of scenes with objects in subject (for
lathe and sphere_sweep when using the cubic_spline attribute).

The point is that when searching the roots of a high degree polynomial,
there's no reason to search every root in [0 Max_distance] when only
those in [0 1] are needed. I extended the function Solve_Polynomial
to accept a new parameter fixing the range of interest, and where
possible used it.

Affected files are:

src/polysolv.cpp
src/polysolv.h
src/lathe.cpp
src/blob.cpp
src/sphsweep.cpp

Scenes that show differences are, for example:

scenes/objects/lathe1c.pov
scenes/objects/lathe2.pov

scenes/objects/blob1b.pov
scenes/objects/blob1a.pov