POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : compiling 3.5 with free borland 5.5 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  compiling 3.5 with free borland 5.5 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: ABX
Subject: compiling 3.5 with free borland 5.5
Date: 5 Aug 2002 07:04:41
Message: <iqlskuc20h0ao8qb9i0qdvb6v2jt33jpgv@4ax.com>
I have some problems compiling 3.5 windows sources with only free windows
compiler. I use Borland 5.5.1 C++ Builder Command Line Tools. I started with
make file from 3.1g and started modification. It produced a lot of warnings
and some errors I already solved and want to verify:

- in resource file I had to all font definitions from
    FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif", 0, 0, 0x1
    FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif"
  what those additional parameters means ? Are they important ?

- in pvbmp.c in section Write_Line there are two loops with i counter where
  type int for i is defined only in first loop. Seems in Borland compiler
  i is local for the first loop so therefore for second loop it had undefined
  type. I had to declare type at beginning of BMP_Image::Write_Line

- Problem in lighting.cpp:
  Error E2238 ..\..\source\blob.h 70: Multiple declaration for 'BLOB'
  Error E2344 \BCC55\INCLUDE\winsock2.h 1181: Earlier declaration of 'BLOB'
  I have solved it renaming BLOB in POV to BLOB_STRUCT

Currently I'm on strange problem:
  Error E2040 ..\..\source\blob.h 82: Declaration terminated incorrectly
where 82nd line is middle of Blob_Element_Struct definition - rad2 field.

Any idea what is wrong ?

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> I have some problems compiling 3.5 windows sources with only free windows
> compiler.

That's not the only one... There are others, that I have not tested. For
example, there is LCC-Win32 <http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/>,
MingW32 (gcc) <http://www.mingw.org/>, and the Digital Mars compiler
<http://www.digitalmars.com/>.
Now, they may not be at the Borland level...
Or, just found in my bookmarks, you have a comprehensive list at:
http://www.bloodshed.net/compilers/index.html. The site features a quite
good (if I believe what I read) IDE: Dev-C++.

> I use Borland 5.5.1 C++ Builder Command Line Tools. I started with
> make file from 3.1g and started modification. It produced a lot of
warnings
> and some errors I already solved and want to verify:
>
> - in resource file I had to all font definitions from
>     FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif", 0, 0, 0x1
>     FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif"
>   what those additional parameters means ? Are they important ?

My guess: they have been added by the resource editor for its own needs.
MSDN states that the FONT statement has the syntax: FONT pointsize,
"typeface"
I suppose it ignores anything after that, whereas Borland chokes on it.

> - in pvbmp.c in section Write_Line there are two loops with i counter
where
>   type int for i is defined only in first loop. Seems in Borland compiler
>   i is local for the first loop so therefore for second loop it had
undefined
>   type. I had to declare type at beginning of BMP_Image::Write_Line

I am not a C++ guru, but I believe this is a bug, probably tolerated by
VC++. I believe that the for (int i; ... declaration makes i a variable
local to the loop. You can also re-declare i in the second loop. Both
solutions seems OK.

> - Problem in lighting.cpp:
>   Error E2238 ..\..\source\blob.h 70: Multiple declaration for 'BLOB'
>   Error E2344 \BCC55\INCLUDE\winsock2.h 1181: Earlier declaration of
'BLOB'
>   I have solved it renaming BLOB in POV to BLOB_STRUCT

How come winsock2.h is included in these sources? Perhaps there is a default
include too wide.

> Currently I'm on strange problem:
>   Error E2040 ..\..\source\blob.h 82: Declaration terminated incorrectly
> where 82nd line is middle of Blob_Element_Struct definition - rad2 field.

Check if rad2 isn't a function in BCC... Or something like that. Can be a
problem similar to the BLOB one.

I hope this helps, I have not BCC, and I haven't recompiled POV-Ray yet...
:-)

Regards.

-- #=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=# --
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)
http://jove.prohosting.com/~philho/

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:08:21 +0200, "Philippe Lhoste" <Phi### [at] GMXnet> wrote:
> > I have some problems compiling 3.5 windows sources with only free windows
> > compiler.
>
> That's not the only one... There are others, that I have not tested. For
> example, there is LCC-Win32 <http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/>,
> MingW32 (gcc) <http://www.mingw.org/>, and the Digital Mars compiler
> <http://www.digitalmars.com/>.

I don't mean "only free windows" as "only working under windows " but "only
producing wingui". Will any of compilers from your list compile wingui version
with codemax ?

I know that there is one-month free intel compiler but I want to setup
enviroment for months.

> Now, they may not be at the Borland level...
> Or, just found in my bookmarks, you have a comprehensive list at:
> http://www.bloodshed.net/compilers/index.html. The site features a quite
> good (if I believe what I read) IDE: Dev-C++.

In a free minute I will check all your propositions. At this moment I'm
fighting with cygwin.

> Check if rad2 isn't a function in BCC... Or something like that. Can be a
> problem similar to the BLOB one.

I have performed some search on it but couldn't find anything.

> I haven't recompiled POV-Ray yet...

Do it. That's a lot of fun ;-)

ABX

Post a reply to this message

>> That's not the only one... There are others, that I have not tested. For
>> example, there is LCC-Win32 <http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/>,
>> MingW32 (gcc) <http://www.mingw.org/>, and the Digital Mars compiler
>> <http://www.digitalmars.com/>.
> I don't mean "only free windows" as "only working under windows " but "only
> producing wingui". Will any of compilers from your list compile wingui version
> with codemax ?

I tried LCC and Digital Mars.
One of them is only C compiler. Second has no htmlhelp library.
Both failed :)

> I know that there is one-month free intel compiler but I want to setup
> enviroment for months.

'Use Linux, Luke...' ;)

> ABX

Slawek
--

 \__ \__ \_______________________________________________________________

Post a reply to this message

>>> That's not the only one... There are others, that I have not tested.
>>> For example, there is LCC-Win32
>>> <http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/>, MingW32 (gcc)
>>> <http://www.mingw.org/>, and the Digital Mars compiler
>>> <http://www.digitalmars.com/>.
>> I don't mean "only free windows" as "only working under windows " but
>> "only producing wingui". Will any of compilers from your list compile
>> wingui version with codemax ?
>>
> I tried LCC and Digital Mars.
> One of them is only C compiler. Second has no htmlhelp library.
> Both failed :)

Mmm, the HTML Help library can be downloaded from Microsoft.
Perhaps at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
us/htmlhelp/html/vsconwhatis.asp
I don't know if this URL is of free access, though.

--