POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : compiling 3.5 with free borland 5.5 : Re: compiling 3.5 with free borland 5.5 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: compiling 3.5 with free borland 5.5
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 7 Aug 2002 05:09:09
Message: <3d50e3b5$1@news.povray.org>
"ABX" <abx### [at] babilonorg> wrote:
> I have some problems compiling 3.5 windows sources with only free windows
> compiler.

That's not the only one... There are others, that I have not tested. For
example, there is LCC-Win32 <http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/>,
MingW32 (gcc) <http://www.mingw.org/>, and the Digital Mars compiler
<http://www.digitalmars.com/>.
Now, they may not be at the Borland level...
Or, just found in my bookmarks, you have a comprehensive list at:
http://www.bloodshed.net/compilers/index.html. The site features a quite
good (if I believe what I read) IDE: Dev-C++.

> I use Borland 5.5.1 C++ Builder Command Line Tools. I started with
> make file from 3.1g and started modification. It produced a lot of
warnings
> and some errors I already solved and want to verify:
>
> - in resource file I had to all font definitions from
>     FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif", 0, 0, 0x1
>     FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif"
>   what those additional parameters means ? Are they important ?

My guess: they have been added by the resource editor for its own needs.
MSDN states that the FONT statement has the syntax: FONT pointsize,
"typeface"
I suppose it ignores anything after that, whereas Borland chokes on it.

> - in pvbmp.c in section Write_Line there are two loops with i counter
where
>   type int for i is defined only in first loop. Seems in Borland compiler
>   i is local for the first loop so therefore for second loop it had
undefined
>   type. I had to declare type at beginning of BMP_Image::Write_Line

I am not a C++ guru, but I believe this is a bug, probably tolerated by
VC++. I believe that the for (int i; ... declaration makes i a variable
local to the loop. You can also re-declare i in the second loop. Both
solutions seems OK.

> - Problem in lighting.cpp:
>   Error E2238 ..\..\source\blob.h 70: Multiple declaration for 'BLOB'
>   Error E2344 \BCC55\INCLUDE\winsock2.h 1181: Earlier declaration of
'BLOB'
>   I have solved it renaming BLOB in POV to BLOB_STRUCT

How come winsock2.h is included in these sources? Perhaps there is a default
include too wide.

> Currently I'm on strange problem:
>   Error E2040 ..\..\source\blob.h 82: Declaration terminated incorrectly
> where 82nd line is middle of Blob_Element_Struct definition - rad2 field.

Check if rad2 isn't a function in BCC... Or something like that. Can be a
problem similar to the BLOB one.

I hope this helps, I have not BCC, and I haven't recompiled POV-Ray yet...
:-)

Regards.

Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)
http://jove.prohosting.com/~philho/