POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : bounced light Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  bounced light (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Mike Williams
Subject: bounced light
Date: 8 Apr 2002 11:58:11
Message: <3cb1be13@news.povray.org>
Is anyone working on enhancing the povray raytrace engine to allow for real
bounced light. Light that when it strikes an objects bounces off to go on
and illuminate other objects. I know radiosity is a way of achieving this
look but it seems rather week. I have been trying to create scenes where the
light is outside of a structure but the image is inside. Like a cave. Or a
room with the sun high in the sky. If this is possible already how? and to
what quality.

I have looked at a large number of rendering engines and I find this ability
only in high priced products and even then it if faked with lighting tricks.

I am not too worried about speed either.

Thanks very much for all of you very hard working programmers.

Mike Williams
IBO# 770070
www.quixtar.com

Post a reply to this message

> Is anyone working on enhancing the povray raytrace engine to allow for real
> bounced light. Light that when it strikes an objects bounces off to go on
> and illuminate other objects. I know radiosity is a way of achieving this
> look but it seems rather week. I have been trying to create scenes where the
> light is outside of a structure but the image is inside. Like a cave. Or a
> room with the sun high in the sky. If this is possible already how? and to
> what quality.

Radiosity and photon mapping are the most common methods for doing this.
I don't know any popular rendering software using a different method
(apart form using finite element radiosity instead of monte carlo
techniques - something not possible in Povray for principal reasons)

For your examples Megapov/Povray 3.5 radiosity should lead to quite
acceptable results.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 18 Mar. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> I am not too worried about speed either.

If this is really true, then try WinOSI ... this will do ...

Post a reply to this message

If you're using 3.5 try increasing recursion_limit.  This might help (it
generates more bounced rays).  If it's reflective use photons too.

--
__________________
 RAY
"Mike Williams" <mwi### [at] morninglightmediacom> wrote in message
> Is anyone working on enhancing the povray raytrace engine to allow for
real
> bounced light. Light that when it strikes an objects bounces off to go on
> and illuminate other objects. I know radiosity is a way of achieving this
> look but it seems rather week. I have been trying to create scenes where
the
> light is outside of a structure but the image is inside. Like a cave. Or a
> room with the sun high in the sky. If this is possible already how? and to
> what quality.
>
> I have looked at a large number of rendering engines and I find this
ability
> only in high priced products and even then it if faked with lighting
tricks.

> I am not too worried about speed either.
>
> Thanks very much for all of you very hard working programmers.
>
> Mike Williams
> IBO# 770070
> www.quixtar.com

Post a reply to this message

Yes, in the cavity-type scenes I've rendered (such as a room with a single
window admitting light, or a cave), you really need to set recursion_limit
above 2. I typically use a recursion_limit of 7 in such scenes. I also have
gone up to 12 and seen quite a visible difference, but around 5-9 usually
works well.

George Pantazopoulos