POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Particle Systems Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Particle Systems (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Vampyrium
Subject: Particle Systems
Date: 27 Feb 2002 03:40:07
Message: <3c7c9b67@news.povray.org>
-Hail

  I am fixing to start a particle system include file which will also be
capable of calculating wind interaction realistically. Is there an "off the
shelf" algorithm for calculation eddie-currents?

Post a reply to this message

>   I am fixing to start a particle system include file which will also be
> capable of calculating wind interaction realistically. Is there an "off the
> shelf" algorithm for calculation eddie-currents?
If by eddy currents you mean things like turbulence & vortices, then all
I can say is:
ROFL!

But who knows, maybe you will manage it. Stranger things have come out
of these newsgroups...

--
signature{
  "Grey Knight" contact{ email "gre### [at] yahoocom" }

Post a reply to this message

From: Ben Chambers
Date: 27 Feb 2002 11:07:08
Message: <3c7d042c$1@news.povray.org>
"Vampyrium" <cyb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>     -Hail
>
>   I am fixing to start a particle system include file which will also be
> capable of calculating wind interaction realistically. Is there an "off
the
> shelf" algorithm for calculation eddie-currents?

Off the shelf?  No.

The math itself isn't terribly difficult - you just need fine enough
granularity, and a fast enough computer.

...Chambers

---

From: jimbobjim
Date: 27 Feb 2002 11:32:48
Message: <3c7d0a30@news.povray.org>
A while ago I was modelling some two-phase fluid dynamics thing and found
this book indispensable:

W.C. Hinds, "Aerosol Technology, Properties, Behaviour and Measurement of
Airborne Particles", John Wiley and Sons 1982

I also remember reading a paper which described this sort of this and I
thought I had a copy, but it seems to have disappeared, along with a CD of
my work which contained references to the paper. If it turns up, I'll post
it...

Hope this helps

Jim

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 27 Feb 2002 11:57:57
Message: <chrishuff-747515.11575127022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c7d042c$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> The math itself isn't terribly difficult - you just need fine enough
> granularity, and a fast enough computer.

Just make sure the object the wind is blowing past has some drag effect
on the near particles, and the particles interact with each other. They
should then roll into the wind shadow behind the object pretty
naturally...

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Apache
Date: 27 Feb 2002 19:35:03
Message: <3c7d7b37@news.povray.org>
such as?

Post a reply to this message

From: Luke Church
Date: 8 Mar 2002 06:10:40
Message: <3c889c30@news.povray.org>
May I enter the genetic object generation into this competition? ;)

It seems to all be going fine, I have written most of the first generation
code now, I'm having difficulty in calling PovRay from Matlab, is there a
standard way of doing this that I have missed? Has anyone tried to do such a
thing before?

Regards,

Luke