POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : sampling points on surface Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:31:05 EDT (-0400)
  sampling points on surface (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Mael
Subject: sampling points on surface
Date: 16 Oct 2001 09:52:25
Message: <3bcc3b99$1@news.povray.org>
after reading HW Jensen bssrdf paper (in case it'll be easy to code :) i
have a question : one part of the algorithm requires a monte carlo
integration with points lying on the surface around a point x0. So given a
float value d, we need a random point xi lying on the surface at distance d
of x0
anyone have an idea how such points can be found in a ray-tracer (we only
have a trace function) ?

> after reading HW Jensen bssrdf paper (in case it'll be easy to code :) i
> have a question : one part of the algorithm requires a monte carlo
> integration with points lying on the surface around a point x0. So given a
> float value d, we need a random point xi lying on the surface at distance d
> of x0
> anyone have an idea how such points can be found in a ray-tracer (we only
> have a trace function) ?

I'm not much into Jensen's paper (although i read it some time ago) but
isn't it possible to assume the surface is locally flat?

I just had a quick look again and i think this is generally assumed
(although it's mentioned that for highly curved surfaces special
consideration is necessary)

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>