POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A common povray source tree ? Server Time
20 Sep 2024 19:07:17 EDT (-0400)
  A common povray source tree ? (Message 11 to 20 of 27)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: A common povray source tree ?
Date: 13 Feb 2003 06:38:22
Message: <3e4b83ae@news.povray.org>
In article <3e4b6410@news.povray.org> , Thomas Willhalm
<tho### [at] uni-konstanzde>  wrote:

> If I understand Nicolas' intention correctly, the point is that he wants
> a unified archive, so that everything is included for every platform.
> As a result person A can write a patched version of - say - Linux
> and person B can compile it on Windows -- hopefully without fiddling
> in the sources.

Actually, this is a problem with the current Unix sources which mix Unix and
generic source code in the same directory (level), which will be addressed
in the future.  Neither the Mac nor the Windows archives do this.

> As for the libraries I agree with you. They do not really belong to
> the source code of povray. I would suggest to move them outside the povray
> package and provide separate archives.

No, that would be wrong because that way nobody can reproduce what we did.
Also Linux frequently comes with those libraries in the default install,
this by no means implies everybody gets them this way.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde