POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A common povray source tree ? : Re: A common povray source tree ? Server Time
26 Sep 2024 19:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A common povray source tree ?
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 13 Feb 2003 17:04:21
Message: <3E4C1665.7080808@free.fr>
> IMHO that does make *some* sense... IIRC, zip archives do have a notion of
> 'text' (vs. binary) files. So, properly done, zip decompressor should be
> able to produce platform-specific source (== text, honoring platform's CR/LF
> convention etc.) files on each given platform -- from a *single* archive.

	Yes.

	Just my experience: windows files compressed by WinZip (under windows
machine) can be correctly unpacked under unices/linux with some unzip tool.
And a .tar.gz file created under Linux will be unpacked correctly under Windows
with WinZip or WinRar. CR/LF is thus correctly handled. It means added or
discarded when necessary. This is not true for single untared files of course.
	Look what kind of files are hosted in the thousands open-projects at
sourceforge.net. I think lots of people would be wounded if it didn't work
this way.

	I have no idea how other architectures (mac in particular) would behave,
because I never used them (or maybe only once...). I guess in principle it's
the same story (does mac's 'fetch' handle that automatically ?).

	- NC