POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A common povray source tree ? : Re: A common povray source tree ? Server Time
26 Sep 2024 19:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A common povray source tree ?
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 13 Feb 2003 16:47:38
Message: <3E4C1279.8060101@free.fr>
> If I understand Nicolas' intention correctly, the point is that he wants
> a unified archive, so that everything is included for every platform.
> As a result person A can write a patched version of - say - Linux
> and person B can compile it on Windows -- hopefully without fiddling
> in the sources.

	Your understanding is right, even if it's not something that
I "want", but simply that I would like to discuss here.
	(I should write more clearly what I mean; maybe I'm simply
not sure of my own thoughts  ;-) )

> As for the libraries I agree with you. They do not really belong to
> the source code of povray. I would suggest to move them outside the povray
> package and provide separate archives.

	In principle I would agree, but in practice, for easy installations
I would actually choose to include the supporting libraries in all distributions
(or the unique one if everything is unified). If your system has better/newer
libraries, you can use them. If however one or more library are missing, just
use the one provided with the sources. In the unix configure file that I'm
rewritting, this decision could be made automatically.

	- NC