POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Question concerning radiosity code Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Question concerning radiosity code (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: Re: Related question concerning radiosity code
Date: 4 Sep 2002 23:35:24
Message: <3d76d0fc$1@news.povray.org>
"Michael Andrews" <m.c### [at] readingacuk> wrote...

> Can you tell me where the automatic radiosity brightness adjustment code
> is then? At first I thought it was to do with the code blocks I was
> looking at, but obviously I was wrong and I can't see any other code
> blocks which seem relevant.

It no longer exists.  It was completely unrealistic.

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 4 Sep 2002 23:37:27
Message: <3d76d177@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote...
> Nathan Kopp <pov### [at] nkoppmailshellcom> wrote:
> > Legacy code.
>
>   Could you explain what does that mean? (I don't know, and I'm curious.)

I've heard the term "legacy code" used to refer to old code that formerly
had meaning, but now serves no purpose except to eat CPU cycles.

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

> "Michael Andrews" <m.c### [at] readingacuk> wrote...
> >
> > Can you tell me where the automatic radiosity brightness adjustment code
> > is then? At first I thought it was to do with the code blocks I was
> > looking at, but obviously I was wrong and I can't see any other code
> > blocks which seem relevant.
>
> It no longer exists.  It was completely unrealistic.

OK, I agree with that. It was useful to an extent back when the
radiosity code was ambient-only.

But hasn't this been the main argument against doing distributed
rendering of image pieces (either tiles or strips) when using radiosity?
Maybe I've misunderstood the problem ...

> -Nathan

Bye for now,
	Mike Andrews.

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Sep 2002 08:47:17
Message: <chrishuff-522F77.08464105092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d76d177@news.povray.org>,
 "Nathan Kopp" <pov### [at] nkoppmailshellcom> wrote:

> >   Could you explain what does that mean? (I don't know, and I'm curious.)
>
> I've heard the term "legacy code" used to refer to old code that formerly
> had meaning, but now serves no purpose except to eat CPU cycles.

I have also heard it used to mean an existing codebase...for example,
when moving from Windows to Linux, code that depends on Windows would be
legacy code.

This, I'd just call "code rot".

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Sep 2002 09:40:21
Message: <chrishuff-2DAB90.09394605092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3D772CCC.11C85853@reading.ac.uk>,
 Michael Andrews <m.c### [at] readingacuk> wrote:

> But hasn't this been the main argument against doing distributed
> rendering of image pieces (either tiles or strips) when using radiosity?
> Maybe I've misunderstood the problem ...

Sounds like you misunderstand it, since I've never heard about
brightness adjustment being a problem. The radiosity data doesn't stay
constant through the render, it is constantly added to. The problem is
keeping the data up to date between multiple threads, with each thread
constantly modifying the same data.