POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray") Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray") (Message 25 to 34 of 44)
From: Francois Dispot
Subject: Re: Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray")
Date: 17 Nov 2000 16:44:20
Message: <3A15A6B3.3F1D7280@club-internet.fr>
Warp wrote:

> Francois Dispot <woz### [at] club-internetfr> wrote:

>   If it's a basic unix system, there shouldn't be any danger.
>   I have run out of memory several times (even when running povray) and
> nothing special has happened. The program just ended with an "out of memory".

Wow, Solaris seems to be a lucky OS...
If you start a hard-core swapping session, and several processes request
memory at the same time, you cannot guess which one will get the "out of
memory" problem first. When this happens, I usually lose my rc5 proxy
server and other relatively useless things like ntpd, nothing lethal.

>   In Unix you can also limit the amount of memory a user can allocate.

This is exactly what I wrote (ulimit)

>   "The derivative of sin(2x) is cos(2x)"  - Matt Giwer

;-))

--

Post a reply to this message