POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray") : Re: Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray") Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray")
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 18 Nov 2000 18:02:28
Message: <slrn91dtpk.qkc.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 17 Nov 2000 10:15:03 -0500, Warp wrote:
>Francois Dispot <woz### [at] club-internetfr> wrote:
>: Warp and Ron gave good ideas.
>
>  I really hope that the guy who tried to hack that povray-site mentioned
>in p.general did not get his ideas from that thread. I would feel quite
>guilty if he/she did... :(

Don't feel guilty. Security by obscurity never works for long, and if
you hadn't said it somebody else would have, or it would just have taken
a little bit longer until somebody had tried it. At least that thread
gave Steve the chance to fix the holes. That he didn't until he was hit,
is unfortunate, but that happens to the best of us.

>  In Unix you can also limit the amount of memory a user can allocate.

Not really. You can limit the amount of memory a single process can
allocate and the number of processes for each user. Unfortunately most
users need many small processes and few large ones, so the product of
both values is generally too large to be useful.

	hp

--

__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |