POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray") : Re: Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray") Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hackers... (Howto "not being hacked with povray")
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 18 Nov 2000 18:02:25
Message: <slrn91dta9.qkc.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 16 Nov 2000 16:20:50 -0500, Ron Parker wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:15:39 -0500, Simon Lemieux wrote:
>
>>What if I'm not on linux but on Windows? what about MacOS? what about the newer
>>MacOS X?
>
>MacOS X is of course BSD-based, so should support things like permissions and
>chroot.  The other two aren't server operating systems, and running server
>processes on them is just asking for trouble.

Well Windows NT and 2000 are promoted as and used as server OSs
(although personally I think that any OS which needs a graphics card
isn't a real server OS), and they have a good permission system. Of
course the default permissions are totally wrong for a server (at least
for NT4, W2k looks a bit better), so if you want to run a server on them
you should know what you are doing.

	hp

--

__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |