POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Free Windows C++ Compiler Available Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Free Windows C++ Compiler Available (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Ken
Subject: Free Windows C++ Compiler Available
Date: 20 Feb 2000 22:12:39
Message: <38B0ACD8.5C5A676C@pacbell.net>
Followups-to: povray.programming

See http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/

I don't know if it's got everything needed to compile POV for Windows
but it's a good start. Maybe some of you folks could beat on it a bit
and see if it works. If it does work for compiling POV-Ray let me know
and I'll link to it from the links pages at povray.org.

THanks for the link, Ken. All I had was an old copy of
Turbo C++ 3.1

Ken wrote:

> Followups-to: povray.programming
>
> See http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/
>
> I don't know if it's got everything needed to compile POV for Windows
> but it's a good start. Maybe some of you folks could beat on it a bit
> and see if it works. If it does work for compiling POV-Ray let me know
> and I'll link to it from the links pages at povray.org.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler -  1300+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

Mr. Art

"Often the appearance of reality is more important
than the reality of the appearance."
Bill DeWitt 2000

Post a reply to this message

Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message

> Followups-to: povray.programming
>
> See http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/
>
> I don't know if it's got everything needed to compile POV for Windows
> but it's a good start. Maybe some of you folks could beat on it a bit
> and see if it works. If it does work for compiling POV-Ray let me know
> and I'll link to it from the links pages at povray.org.

Another place to look for free win32 compilers is
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/
I'm currently playing with Mingw32, though I haven't tried to compile POV
for Windows using it yet.

Darcy

Post a reply to this message

>I don't know if it's got everything needed to compile POV for Windows
>but it's a good start. Maybe some of you folks could beat on it a bit
>and see if it works. If it does work for compiling POV-Ray let me know
>and I'll link to it from the links pages at povray.org.

Another free windows C or C++ compiler is available at
http://www.bloodshed.nu called Dev-C++. There is also a C only windows
compiler call Lcc-Win32 available at http://cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/
(I think that is right, if not search in Google for "lcc-win32" with the
quotes).
--
  David Parrott    E-mail: xam### [at] quayles1demoncouk
                      ICQ: 13313977

Post a reply to this message

From: Eric Freeman
Date: 24 Mar 2000 12:32:04
Message: <38dba694@news.povray.org>

> Followups-to: povray.programming
>
> See http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/
>
> I don't know if it's got everything needed to compile POV
> for Windows but it's a good start. Maybe some of you
> folks could beat on it a bit and see if it works. If it does
> work for compiling POV-Ray let me know and I'll link to it
> from the links pages at povray.org.

Hey, cool.  I should read this group more often.  I'll take a look at it and
post a reply here.  I really felt guilty (well... a little guilty) about
having a bootleg copy of MS VC++, but then my hard drive crashed and I lost
it (fate, karma, Bill Gates' revenge???).

Eric
http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree
"I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it."
- Erwin Schrodinger talking about Quantum Mechanics.