POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Coloured attenuation. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Coloured attenuation. (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Edward C
Subject: Coloured attenuation.
Date: 27 Aug 1999 02:11:37
Message: <37c62c19@news.povray.org>
I am working on an expansion for the object interior attenuation which
allows the user to specify an extra keyword 'fade_colour', so that the
attenuation tends to a specific colour, rather than just to black.  A sample
image and explanation of why this is good are posted in p.b.i.
My questions to you are:
Do you care?  (ie would you find this handy?)
Should I expand on this to allow the user to specify different fade rates
for red, green and blue?
Why are filter and transmit values attenuated in the shadow calculation code
(compute_shadow_texture)?
And why not in the visible texture calculation code
(compute_lighted_texture)?

Post a reply to this message

Whoa, wavelength capable sort of thing too eh? Um, why not, if you
think you can do it ;)
About the attenuation part in shadow. Probably because it is related
in a way by appearence alone? I have no idea though.
Has Ron P. spoke up about any of this yet? Didn't see him over at the
p.b.i. though it's still early. I'm thinking Super Patch of course....

Bob

Edward C. <edw### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> I am working on an expansion for the object interior attenuation
which
> allows the user to specify an extra keyword 'fade_colour', so that
the
> attenuation tends to a specific colour, rather than just to black.
A sample
> image and explanation of why this is good are posted in p.b.i.
> My questions to you are:
> Do you care?  (ie would you find this handy?)
> Should I expand on this to allow the user to specify different fade
rates
> for red, green and blue?
> Why are filter and transmit values attenuated in the shadow
calculation code
> (compute_shadow_texture)?
> And why not in the visible texture calculation code
> (compute_lighted_texture)?

Post a reply to this message

> I am working on an expansion for the object interior attenuation which
> allows the user to specify an extra keyword 'fade_colour', so that the
> attenuation tends to a specific colour, rather than just to black.  A sample
> image and explanation of why this is good are posted in p.b.i.
> My questions to you are:
> Do you care?  (ie would you find this handy?)
> Should I expand on this to allow the user to specify different fade rates
> for red, green and blue?
> Why are filter and transmit values attenuated in the shadow calculation code
> (compute_shadow_texture)?
> And why not in the visible texture calculation code
> (compute_lighted_texture)?

Actually, fade_distance and fade_color attenuation is computed in
compute_lighted_texture.  The code looks like this:

    /* Get distance based attenuation. */

    Att = Interior->Old_Refract;

    if ((Interior != NULL) && Interior_In_Ray_Container(Ray, Interior) >= 0)
    {
      if (fabs(Interior->Fade_Distance) > EPSILON)
      {
        Att /= (1.0 + pow(Intersection->Depth / Interior->Fade_Distance,
Interior->Fade_Power));
      }
    }

It is right after the call to Refract().

And, yes, fade_color is a great idea.  I was trying to make realistic colored
glass a few weeks ago and thought about adding this feature myself.
Unfortunately, I never got around to it.

Possible implementations:
1)  Add a new keyword fade_color and multiply the attenuation by it.
2)  Change fade_distance and fade_power to accept a vector (color) instead
    of a float.  (no need for any extra keywords)

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message