POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Coloured attenuation. : Re: Coloured attenuation. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coloured attenuation.
From: Edward C
Date: 28 Aug 1999 19:50:45
Message: <37c875d5@news.povray.org>
Nathan Kopp wrote:
>Actually, fade_distance and fade_color attenuation is computed in
>compute_lighted_texture.  The code looks like this:
<snip>

I assume you mean fade_power, not fade_colour.  Anyway, I never said it
wasn't, I was just wondering why the FILTER and TRANSMIT values are
attenuated along with the RGB components in compute_shadow_texture, but only
the RGB components are attenuated in compute_shadow texture.  It is
important to me since this behaviour breaks my patch (in some situations you
get almost no colour in the shadow) so I have to disable it.

>Possible implementations:
>1)  Add a new keyword fade_color and multiply the attenuation by it.
>2)  Change fade_distance and fade_power to accept a vector (color) instead
>    of a float.  (no need for any extra keywords)

I went with 1, I don't think I could have made 2 work the way I wanted, but
I might do something like it to enable the user to specify different fade
characteristics for each of the colour components.  I just need to take a
little time to figure out how to accept both the old float arguement and my
new vector arguement for fade_distance and fade_power, so as not to break
old scenes.