POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Y2K Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Y2K (Message 11 to 20 of 28)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Jon A  Cruz
Subject: Re: Y2K
Date: 20 Jun 1999 14:45:29
Message: <376D36D3.F3B55ACA@geocities.com>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> Nieminen Mika wrote:
> >

> >   The time() function returns the time in seconds since the Epoch. The Epoch
> >   is referenced to 00:00:00 CUT (Coordinated Universal Time) 1 Jan 1970.
> >
> >   As you can see, there's no reference to the current year here.
> >   Since this counter is usually a 32-bit number, the real problem comes
> > in 2106 when the counter overflows.
> >   I think I will not live that long.
>
> Unless it's storing it as a signed integer, in which case it conks out
> in 2038.  I've heard plenty of references to the 2038 problem, which I
> may very well live to see.  Then again, I also expect to have migrated
> to 64-bit architectures by that time.

Or... unless you are running on some older Microsoft stuff. I've seen their calls
documented as working only up to 2035. (Trying to remember if it was in DOS or
Win31 calls). Anyway, I had seen it at some point when the first rumblings of Y2K
were being noticed by people and I was looking into the 2038 problem.

So

2038 = problems for most of the world.
2035 = problems for older MS OS users.

Post a reply to this message

Mark Gordon <mtg### [at] mailbagcom> wrote:
: Then again, I also expect to have migrated
: to 64-bit architectures by that time.

  It took almost 10 years to microsoft to "migrate" to 32 bits and thus to
the majority of users. I seriously think that microsoft will be late again.
  Of course there are alternatives... Hopefully linux will be more popular
than windows at that time.