POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Y2K : Re: Y2K Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Y2K
From: Alain CULOS
Date: 28 Jun 1999 17:38:16
Message: <3772C0F5.A4D19738@bigfoot.com>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> Edward C. wrote in message <3770435f@news.povray.org>...
> >While I expect 32 bit, UNIX type system clocks to reset seven seconds after
> >3:14a.m. on Janurary 19th, 2038 - it should be a different story for 64 bit
> >clocks (which are being implimented as we speak) which should last beyond
> >the year 290,000,000,000.  I don't think the phrase 'Y290g bug' will take
> >off though.
>
> Just wait!  And wait, and wait, and wait....
>
> Mark

Well, given that the expected life span of our solar system is just about 5gig
years and that our whole univers is estimated to be approximately 15 gig years
old, I think we don't have to worry much about the 290gig boundary. Maybe this
should be a good opportunity to change the clock systems in computers and rather
than deal with useless stuff like 290 gig years, let the max be somewhat smaller
(say 20gig) and have a finer grain, dive further into the subdivisions of
seconds and milliseconds.

Cheers,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.